Brendons Zip Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

bjfrater

Re: Brendons Zip Build

Postby bjfrater » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

I have completed laying the fibreglass and am now in the process of sanding and applying more coats of resin.

I tried using both a roller and a plastic scraper when wetting out the cloth. Using the plastic scraper produced far better results than the roller as it was able to push the cloth down against the deck. I found that if I added too much resin when using the roller it would actually lift the cloth slightly and get resin underneath it producing bumps.

I had some fun building up a sharp bottom edge at the transom, the dam I made using tape and plastic leaked and I ended up with resin running down the transom and onto the floor. It all came out great in the end (using far more resin than would have been necessary). It did require some extra sanding and tidying up tho.

Here are a couple of progress pictures. I think some fairing compound along the center and transom, sanding, and another coat of resin and I will have a perfect finish and will be ready for painting.

20151221_191615.jpg

20151221_191629.jpg

20151221_191559.jpg

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Here is the dam I built for building up the transom edge.
Next time I recommend using a stronger tape that dosent leak all over the place. :D

20151216_191015.jpg

20151216_191007.jpg

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:57 am

Looks great. Sanding is a pain, but when done it will look great painted.
What color are you looking at for the bottom.
Will your boat be on a trailer or sit in the water.
Jeff

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Hey Jeff

Sorry for the late reply. Im planning on painting the bottom white and the sides with some shade of metallic brown. Im not going with anything too bright with the paint as I want the wood work on the deck to be the focus.

I am going to trailer it, I did actually have a trailer that I could use however after measuring it up I think it will be too small. So I am now looking around at trailer options.

Brendon.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:11 am

Sounds like a plan. What is your idea for the decking Stain or paint. Do you have a lay out for the cockpit

Trailer I have one comment. The Zip has a very flat bottom and what I found is that they are hard to keep straight on the trailer when they are winched up and pulled out still floating.
What I did was to install some adjustable side bunks that keep the boat straight on the trailer.
The other advantage of the bunks are that you can drive the boat on to the trailer throw a line around the winch stand and have some one in the car and pull out and you don't have to get wet winching the boat up. When on dry land finish winching the boat in place.
Well it happened it snowed in Ohio to day.
Jeff

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:13 am

One other thing do you plan on putting a Skeg on the bottom?
I think they need one.
Jeff

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:59 am

cusoak wrote:... When on dry land finish winching the boat in place...

You could always do like a buddy of mine used to do with his Bayliner. If it wasn't on the trailer straight, he'd just keep hitting curbs on the way home from the lake until he bounced the boat into the correct position. This is where the old adage, "Don't drink and drive" came from. This is because you might hit a bump and spill your drink. :lol:

Yes, definitely put a skeg on the bottom. If you don't, you'll learn how to "drift" on the water.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Yeah im definitely going with a Skeg, I plan to tow around a wakeboard so will be needing the boat not to slide about on the water. For some reason I havent quite figured out the dimensions of my Skeg or placement in my mind yet so im leaving it until the last minute. Ill figure it out once I get the bottom prepared for paint and will attach it then.

Those are some good suggestions about the bumpers on the trailer. I think ill go with that option rather than the drinking and bouncing off the curbs on the way home :D

I went over the bottom on the weekend with some fairing compound and filled in some of the low spots eg along the overlap of the fiberglass cloth on the edge and keel and also a few places where i wanted to perfect the lines. Its looking pretty good after some sanding last night. Iv been working up a pretty good sweat with that longboard!

My current plans for the deck is to go with the double cockpit and bright finish on a traditional style deck. Im have not purchased all my deck timber yet but hope to find some dark timber for the coverboards. I have some nice looking wood that I will bookmatch for the center of the deck.

Brendon.

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Looks really great what you have accomplished to date Brendon

Love the photo album.

Keep up the great work and enjoy every moment. You will never forget the build.
Before you know it you will be finished

Josh

travis24

Postby travis24 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:22 pm

Brendon,

I'll look around for pics of my skeg. I believe it's 2' off the transom skeg is about 5' long and tapered from low to high then back down. My boat corners very well with this.

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

www.liquidassetsonline.org

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:03 pm

travis24 wrote:Brendon,

I'll look around for pics of my skeg. I believe it's 2' off the transom skeg is about 5' long and tapered from low to high then back down. My boat corners very well with this.

Travis

Thanks Travis, some pics would be great.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:25 pm

For what it's worth here's a photo of the skeg on my ZIP. It is 3/4" deep and tapers to nothing on both ends over about 12".
There are fillets on both sides of the skeg. I get no cavitation from the skeg. If I go into a a hard turn at high speed I will slide out a bit in the turn, which is fine by me. She tracks dead straight. I was able to get that much taper becausemy keel and skeg were cut from one solid piece of lumber, but that's another story. Good Luck, Looking Good.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Another one for reference.

Skeg 005.jpg

travis24

Postby travis24 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:29 pm

Here you go.

Travis
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

www.liquidassetsonline.org

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:35 pm

On my zip i started 24" ahead of the transom, it is 2" tall at the rear and tapers to 1" at the front roughly 48" long
Attachments
20150519_203411.jpg
IMAG1174.jpg
Before paint
IMAG1232.jpg
After paint
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Return to “Small outboards”