need transom and motor help

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

brad1516

need transom and motor help

Postby brad1516 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:45 pm

if I measure from the btm side of the hull so the 1/4 plywood btm to my bottom of skeg I have 18" is this to much in the water advice help how to fix if a problem , other issue I am having is I have the smallest nfb mechanical steering system you can buy is 10' is there a way to shorten this cable as it is too long for the size of the boat

Roberta

Re: need transom and motor help

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:14 am

I assume you are talking about the motor skeg. The cavitation plate on the motor (flat area just above the prop) should be even with, or slightly below, the bottom of the boat (keel point). Transoms are built accordingly and this needs to be considered during the building process. Transoms that are too tall can be trimmed to lower the motor. Creative laminating can be done to raise a transom that might be too short. A couple inches too low won't be a big deal unless you are going for speed records. You don't want the motor too high, though.

The cables only come in premade lengths, 10 ft being the shortest. You can route the cable the long way around to the back to take up the slack. I don't think these premade cables can be shortened.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:19 am

If the cable size you need isn't available sometimes going longer and turning the steering around so the loop goes under the foredeck can be a solution. Here is an article on the subject. https://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weblett ... steer.html

As for the transom height. Measure your motor but in the end you want the cavitation plate which is just above the prop to be in line with the bottom of the boat. If any error I found that error half an inch on the high side is better than error on the too deep side. Not all short shafts are 15" My Mercury's are 16.5" So its best to have the motor you will use on hand before making the final size. http://www.parsun.biz/a/Services_Suppor ... 11.html#a3

brad1516

Postby brad1516 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:21 pm

thanks for help here are some pics to see what is actually going on I am thinking I will have to raise my transom and laminate a piece on top I am going to put 1/8 stainless steel sleeve over the new motor mount to tie it all in any ideas? and any thoughts on these pics or solutions
Attachments
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:11 am

You do need to raise that motor up. Can't tell how far along you are on the transom from the pics. Look's like you may be able to make the motor board taller and laminate it into the existing structure. You might be able to mount the helm upside down and run the cable the other direction to take up the slack. Post some pics of the transom without the motor on.

Roberta :D

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:35 am

I had similar problem when I first trial mounted my long shaft Mercury. The solution I found was a to fit a short shaft motor instead ( luckily for me the short shaft I found had added hp lol ) As for cable length I was able to buy a teleflex ss137 steering setup in 8 foot for my peewee from the states ( unlike here in Australia ).
You should be able to work something out. Good luck :)
Attachments
image.jpg

brad1516

Postby brad1516 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm

IMG_0667.JPG
I have some more pics I rasied my motor today after work I can not change motors not an option any though on how to make the transom as strong as possible and where are people putting the gas tanks and the batteries for the squirt boats any advice is helpful thanks guys
Attachments
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:54 pm

I built a ZIP but I am not a "boat builder". That being said here's my 2 cents.

Not that familiar with the Squirt, but from the photos you posted it seems there is no continuous horizontal top frame member at the transom, and from your first photos it seems that originally there was only one 3/4" piece of ply supporting the engine. You have now apparently doubled that to 2 plys of 3/4" at a much greater height. Sketchy.

That's a lot of torque at quite some height. At the very least I would change from one transom knee to two transom knees on the battens on either side of the keel. Then run those transom knees up higher and bolt them through the transom. That would be a good start.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 am

Look's like you have the right idea. Can you add a piece of plywood on the back of the transom about the thickness of the small block in the front? Make it from top to bottom the width of the motor board and laminate the whole thing with a lot of epoxy and screws. Keep the knee in the middle, but add some outboard as GD suggested. You could also add some gussets from the carlings to the transom in the upper inside corners.

Typically these smaller boats tend to be light in the bow, so locating the fuel tank up front will help balance the boat. Keep it portable so you can experiment.

brad1516

Postby brad1516 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:10 pm

what do you guys think of a splash well to tie everything including transom together I am going to have three knee supports off of the two bottom battens and the center keel and I am going to put on on either side of the batten I am going to make my motor board the thickness of that 2x4 that is in there that is just a spacer for now after all this is said I want to slide 1/8 stainless steel cover plate over motor board for strength and a good solid plate for the motor any thoughts ?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:22 pm

I think you should be fine with all that.

red

Postby red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:07 am

that's going to add a lot of weight to the back end and might just be a little over kill on the squirt the carlings run from the dash all the way back and tie into the top of the transom that's the reason theres no motor well on the squirt you get your strength from the carlings what hp is that force 25 ? if so there are a few squirts out there with 25 hp on them and been running for a while with no problems

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:07 am

I tend to agree with Red. If you build up and laminate the plywood to the correct height and add some gussets where the carlings/coamings join the transom you should be fine. Gussets would be like knees turned horizontal in the upper corners. The extra knees on the battens would probably not be necessary.

miyot

Postby miyot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 am

I hate to say this but it looks like stability could be affected with that motor so high. I think that needs looked into by someone who knows more than I. Perhaps the pictures exaggerate how it really looks.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:56 am

Miyot has a good point. Most of the Squirts I've seen in the archives either are running short shaft motors or are living with the skeg deeper in the water. Maybe a compromise or get the short shaft engine. Glen L usually notes when a boat can be adjusted to use a long shaft motor. The Squirt is not noted that way and was designed to use a short shaft motor as noted in the description. Putting a larger than recommended motor on it and raising it 5 inches could be a problem.

Roberta :(

Return to “Small outboards”