need transom and motor help

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

miyot

Re: need transom and motor help

Postby miyot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:06 am

Perhaps they have a shorter shaft available for your engine. Some manufacturers carry different length shafts for their outboards that can be changed and the shorter one just bolted on. It could be pricey, but not as much as another engine. At least worth looking into.

brad1516

Postby brad1516 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm

my motor is a 35 hp force it is the short shaft version I am going to lower the height of the transom probably 2 inches to get it in the water a bit more are people putting splash wells on these boats?

miyot

Postby miyot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm afraid that is to much motor for that boat, and it doesn't appear to be a short shaft engine. A short shaft is 15 inches, long shaft is 20 and extra long is 25 inches. I don't think lowering the engine 2 more inches will be enough. Stability of your vessel is nothing to experiment with or guess on. If it is the Squirt you are building, the plans call for 10 HP max. I know many builders go with more HP, but the short shaft looks to be required for that boat.

If you can't afford to buy a smaller engine, I would consider selling or trading the one you have for a used engine of appropriate size. Your safety should not be in question and you are at the stage of building where changes to your build are relatively easy to make. Get an engine of appropriate size and have peace of mind when you finally finish her and take your first ride. It is a good design and will perform safely at the designers specifications. Sorry to be so straight forward. But your safety should be your first concern.

miyot

Postby miyot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:38 pm

Looking at your pics closely, that engine is at least a 20 inch shaft if not 25 inches. The hull depth of the Squirt is 20 inches. You should not use that engine on that boat, period.

brad1516

Postby brad1516 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:05 pm

the hull depth is not 20 inches its 15 hence the problem, have you built a squirt ? why does it matter if the motor sits higher up on the transom it will all be fastened in and structural I see a lot of people raise there transom 2 1/2 to 3 inches on there squirts any explanations and where I live very hard to find a motor unless I want to pay 2500- 3500

miyot

Postby miyot » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Your transom may be 15 inches, but the specs on the squirt say your hull depth is 20 inches. This measurement is taken at the deepest part of your boat. Probably around where your dash is at or slightly forward of it. The higher your engine and the heavier it is will raise your center of buoyancy. It appears the picture of your engine on the transom has been raised 6 or 8 inches.

Your boat may float quite well with the engine that high, but it will also turn over much easier. It is unsafe. Raising your engine 2 or 3 inches may be ok. But I'm not a naval architect. Your questions should be directed towards the designer. But all you really need to know is in your plans. I am only thinking of your safety. I could be off, it is hard to estimate just how much you raised the engine just by looking at a photo. Good luck to you and be safe.

Return to “Small outboards”