Utility Build Frame ?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

largej

Utility Build Frame ?

Postby largej » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi Folks,
Moving on to the next build - Tiny Titan was fun and very rewarding. It is in the Gallery.
I am building a Utility and want to get input on frame height. Plan calls for 21 but I have read 32 is better and easier to work with. I suspect it will be on it a while and want the set up t be right and secure from the start.
Thanks in advance for you input and advice.
Jim
Attachments
IMG_1353.JPG

John K

Re: Utility Build Frame ?

Postby John K » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 am

The only problem with making the utility frame height higher will be the stem. You may have to make a cardboard or luaun template to see how the stem will fit. I suspect you will have to make the stem longer to minimize the angle or you will never get the plywood panels to bend. Just some thoughts.

I did add 6 inches to the depth of a boat and had to do the stem differently.

jprice

Postby jprice » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:51 pm

If I understand you correctly, you're talking about the build frame, not any of the boat frames, right?
If so, I would say make it as high as possible. As long as you can still reach the keel, it will be fine. Higher is easier to work with (for me anyway), plus it's easier to get underneath to clean up the epoxy drips.

BTW, nice job on the tiny titan. :)

largej

Postby largej » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:06 pm

You are right Jeff - I did mean the building form...Your suggestion was very helpful.
Sorry for the confusion - rookie mistake.
Jim

Return to “Small outboards”