Tubby Tug practice for my dream Barrelback

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Dman

Tubby Tug practice for my dream Barrelback

Postby Dman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 am

Hi All. I'm an extreme long-time lurker, first time poster. But I've finally made a start on my first Glen L boat.

It's not the Barrel Back of my dreams, but if the Tubby Tug turns out OK I (and my darling Wife) might be convinced that I can manage it!

Here's where I'm at:

I'm using Gaboon marine ply, which I was able to buy in over-size sheets (three point something metres long), eliminating the need for the side panel butt block joins. It's really nice to use! I started with MDF templates for all the panels with curves, then double-sided-taped them to the rough-cut ply before using a replicating bit in my router to match them. This worked great - gives a fantastic finish, and perfectly matched parts each side.

Anyway, am learning heaps and having a blast. Will no doubt have many silly questions to post throughout this process.

Cheers!
Dale.
Last edited by Dman on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vupilot

Re: Tubby Tug practice for my dream Barrelback

Postby vupilot » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:09 am

Looking great Dale! Thanks for posting your build. Keep the pictures coming as you progress! I would be interested in hearing how many hours this build takes you.

geneanthes

Postby geneanthes » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:58 pm

All right! Another Tubby Tug Build. Looks great! Keep the pics coming. I too would like an hour count. I lost track on mine. Looking forward to see your progress!
Me: GeneAnthes.com
My day job...Criminal Defense Attorney in Austin: GBAFirm.com
Tubby Tug Build: Taylor's Tug

John B

Postby John B » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Dale, where are you located?
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

Dman

Postby Dman » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi John! I'm in Christchurch, which is the largest city of the South Island of New Zealand.

Gene, I've been following your build closely! Really inspiring stuff, well done Man! Our's is not going to be anywhere near as detailed as yours - am way too impatient.

I'm almost ready to attempt taping my joins for the first time - will post photos if they're presentable enough! Transom is still just stitched in as I want to get the motor set up before I do it permanently. I've just missed out on a TradeMe (our version of Ebay) auction for a 24V, 85lb trolling motor But now I know they're available, this is what I will try and find.

Photos soon. Cheers Guys!
Dale.

Dman

Postby Dman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:51 pm

Wow, more than a year with no progress! Apologies, had a bit of an issue with less-than-ideal liver function (not alcohol related) but all good and raring to go now. Have achieved the following in the last fortnight:

I have the sides on and some of the taping done. Photos show the underside of the assembled fore-deck with strong-back (notched where it fits over the first bulkhead) and blocking to support the cabin sides. Will get the foredeck glued in this week hopefully. Am hanging out to get the bulwarks stitched on - reckon it'll really start looking boat-like then!

Have also picked up a 24volt, 85lb (supposedly!) trolling motor that I'm planning some sort of out-drive set up for, rather than through the floor - can kinda picture it in my head.

So cheers, and sorry again for the slight delay in updating!
D.

geneanthes

Postby geneanthes » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:24 am

Dale,
Glad to see you've made some progress. Slow and steady will get you there. Looking good!
-Gene
Me: GeneAnthes.com
My day job...Criminal Defense Attorney in Austin: GBAFirm.com
Tubby Tug Build: Taylor's Tug

Return to “Small outboards”