vintage, never rigged Super Spartan found

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

emory70

vintage, never rigged Super Spartan found

Postby emory70 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:48 pm

A couple weeks ago, I found an unfinished Squirt on Craigslist. I was a day too late. Early this week, I found a Super Spartan. I was lucky enough to score this one.

It's an older build that was a decoration in a restaurant for many years. It was bought by a gentleman who sold it to the guy I got it from today.

There are a few holes from being suspended from the ceiling of the restaurant. The deck is a little wavy. But it's solid. It's never had a motor or any controls on it.

Soon as I figure out how to add pics from my phone...

Emory

emory70

Re: vintage, never rigged Super Spartan found

Postby emory70 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:51 am

Trying to post a couple pics

Emory
Attachments
1415645436426.jpg

emory70

Postby emory70 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:53 am

And one more. Just to give an idea of what I found
Attachments
1415645527035.jpg

emory70

Postby emory70 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Per the suggestion of my seasoned friend in Arizona, I'm gonna start with simple repairs to get it watertight. Then drop it in the water, slap my Yamaha 8hp on the back, gently settle in, and try to not kill myself

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:48 am

emory70 wrote:A couple weeks ago, I found an unfinished Squirt on Craigslist. I was a day too late. Early this week, I found a Super Spartan. I was lucky enough to score this one.

It's an older build that was a decoration in a restaurant for many years. It was bought by a gentleman who sold it to the guy I got it from today.

There are a few holes from being suspended from the ceiling of the restaurant. The deck is a little wavy. But it's solid. It's never had a motor or any controls on it.

Soon as I figure out how to add pics from my phone...

Emory
this might not have a water proof finish on it if it was built as decoration I would strip at lest the outer hull surfaces to bare wood and cover with epoxy and fiberglass cloth at the least. I may not have had marine grade glue used either in the build. :? just be careful you could have a bag of worms that looks real nice. :(
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

emory70

Postby emory70 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:47 pm

It looks pretty solid other than the holes. I'm gonna patch it up and drop it in the water and see if it floats. If that goes well, I'll test it out with my Yamaha. If it's as fun as I hope it is, I'll bring it inside for a proper restoration.

I'll be ordering plans for the thing if tests please me. For verification of the build and in case I decide to build another

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:51 am

It's a fun little boat. I built one for my grandkids. I have a 10 hp Merc 110 on it and it does about 20+ mph. Safe little ride for the kids or you can power it up and really go.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

emory70

Postby emory70 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:33 pm

We're getting a 4 day weekend for the holiday. I'm gonna try and get the holes patched in the spartan. Woop woop.

Return to “Small outboards”