Drain holes in transom and Bow eye hole in stem

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

bjfrater

Drain holes in transom and Bow eye hole in stem

Postby bjfrater » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi guys,

Im just planning ahead for a couple of holes that I will need to drill shortly for the drain plugs in my transom and also a hole for the bow eye in the stem.

If you have done this on your boat, how did you do it? Im concerned about leaving areas which could get water in them. Particularly with the drain holes.

For the Transom -
Did you drill the holes exact for the drain plug or drill oversize and then fill with expoxy then drill out again? Did you have some sort of tube that you fitted which the plug then fits into?
I have attached a picture of the drain plug that I was thinking of attaching but you can see that there is no tube which would be fitted into the transom to stop water sitting in the hole.

thanks
Brendon.
Attachments
ScreenHunter_10 Feb. 03 16.36.gif
Drain plug for transom

mrintense

Re: Drain holes in transom and Bow eye hole in stem

Postby mrintense » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:59 am

Brendon,

Here are photos of what I did / used for drain plugs. I got the drain plugs from Raka Inc, but I found out that Glen L has the same kind so you could order from them. The hole was cut with a 1" hole saw and I will be epoxying them in place. It's not a tight fit , but not a real loose one either. Just enough for the epoxy.

As for the bow eye hole. I made a jig to drill the hole. I think you would want to drill this oversize , fill with epoxy and then redrill to the correct size.

IMG_20141110_173102.jpg

IMG_20150120_193200.jpg

IMG_20140726_221743.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

jenko

Postby jenko » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:36 am

Brendon I used the plugs you pictured . I drilled an oversize hole then counter sunk the flange Useing a router with a template of flange shape ,straight flute with bearing on shaft , removed bung and applied thickened epoxy, fitted plugwith plastic tube of apropriate size ,waited till cured removed plug , and did it again with wax on plug removed and sanded hole smooth then final fit with plenty of sikaflex windscreen adhesive and cleaned mess with prepsol,as for bow eye I am yet to tackle this sorry I dont have a photo of the inside
Attachments
image001.jpg

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:36 pm

Ok thanks for your reply's, both sound like good options depending on the type of plug I decide to go for.

John K

Postby John K » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:30 pm

For my transom drain holes I drill oversize holes and used a piece of copper pipe. I found the drain plug I wanted to use for the pipe, then drilled/epoxied the pipe into the transom.

You could also use a threaded pipe fitting and then use a pipe plug for that fitting. Just another thought!

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:24 am

I have seen far to many boats where the worst rot was in the transom from water penetration via the drain tubes, ergo I have no lower drain tubes to drain the bottom of the boat. I use bilge pumps for that function.

I do have 2 drain tubes for my motor/splash well. I drilled a 1" hole to accommodate the tube. The tubes come with one end flanged, or flared if you will. I then used the proper flaring tool to flare the other end of one sacrificial 'test' tubes and measured how much the total length decreased with the flaring, this allowed me to cut the tube to the length appropriate for my transom thickness, then subtracted twice the thickness of the flange.

I then used a 1/8" round over router bit with the shoulder of the bit set proud of my router base. This allowed me to rout a recessed flare or round over in both ends of the 1" hole. Once epoxied in and flared with the flaring tool this left both flared ends flush with the surfaces of the transom. This in turn allowed me to run my fiberglass/epoxy over top of the recessed/flush flare for extra sealing.
Attachments
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:39 pm

I feel the same way as gdcarpenter. A Hole in a Hull is not a good thing. Especially below the waterline
I left the holes out. I don`t think they are necessary.

Return to “Small outboards”