New squirt build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

jeff k

New squirt build

Postby jeff k » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:27 pm

Hello all,
I'm building a squirt. The plans say I can stretch it to 11ft. I would really like to stretch it to 12'. My girth and the wife's has grown over the years. What areas would I need to beef up to get the extra foot?
This boat project is destroying my wallet, But it is enriching my soul.

gdcarpenter

Re: New squirt build

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:42 pm

Build a ZIP, it's 14'-4" and a bigger brother to the Squirt.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

dmac

Postby dmac » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:07 am

You might also consider Flying Saucer. It is exactly 12' and has a little more beam than Squirt, which might be handy. Good luck whatever you do.

jeff k

Postby jeff k » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:58 am

I already have the squirt plans. I'm thinking what I will do is go with the 11' version and then adjust the cockpit depth a bit. Should all work out in the end. I'm only 5' 7" and the wife is 5' 5" so we can make it work. I'm going to be starting construction this weekend so I'm really excited :D . If I can have it completed by this time next year, I will be a very happy man.
Last edited by jeff k on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:55 am

I already have the squirt plans. I'm thinking what I will do is go with the 11' version and then adjust the cockpit depth a bit. Should all work out in the end. I'm only 5' 7" and the wife is 5' 5" so we can make it work. I'm going to starting construction this weekend so I'm really excited

Coming from a guy who built and owned a Squirt, I really hope you'll spend your weekend rethinking this instead of jumping into construction on the Squirt. The Squirt is a beautifully designed boat with wonderful lines. If you add mahogany decking and a little chrome it makes for a terrific showboat and novelty item; or, it can be built inexpensively using just plywood and be a neat boat for kids. But if you're looking for a boat for two adults to actively use, it's not a good choice as you'll find its utilization impractical in so many ways. Unless you're really pressed for building space or are mainly building the boat for show, I'd build the Zip or the Flying Saucer as suggested by the other posters. Don't let the fact that you already invested a few dollars into the plans affect your decision, plan cost is completely negligible in the total cost of the boat.

jeff k

Postby jeff k » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:37 pm

I understand completely what you are saying. Don't tell my wife, but the squirt is really just for me to blast around in. I have a Sea Ray 197 for the whole crusing, tubing, family boat thing. It just gets expensive to feed that V8 four barrel. I just want a little go fast toy for fun that will not eat so hard into the budget. The wife will ride in it a few times I'm sure when we want to go for a little evening put-put around sight seeing. I'm willing to bet after she gets in and out of the little squirt once or twice she will say "that's ok honey...you can go by yourself". Then it's full throttle fun. Sometimes we have to tell them it's for "us" just to get the blessing to take up another spot at the pier.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Well then best of luck on the build! Have fun this weekend and keep us posted.

jeff k

Postby jeff k » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:00 pm

Bayoubengal,
What size is that vintage Johnson hanging on the back of your squirt, and what kind of speed do you get from it? I have 3 vintage Johnsons in the basement, a 1956, 57 and a 58. Problem is they are all 10hp motors. I picked up a 1970 25hp evinrude I'll be rebuilding for the squirt. I'm hoping for 30mph with an .030 over bore, a fresh carb kit and a brass speed prop. I have to mic everything up but I may shave .040 off the cylinder head to up the compression a bit as well. Let the kids have their jet ski. I prefer to blast around the lake in Mahogany madness. A jet ski has nothing over old school cool.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:27 pm

It was a 15HP with good compression, but it still didn't quite have enough power. The boat would top out at about 20mph. I later put a 1989 Evinrude 25HP on it. With the 25HP, I actually had the boat over 30mph, but it was terribly unstable (porpoising) even at lower speeds because of the extra weight. I added trim tabs to stabilize the boat with the larger motor, but this knocked the top speed down to about 26mph. The trim tabs were a necessity for stability, but what I also liked about them was that the boat was always on plane, even at very low speeds.

I think the perfect motor for an 11 foot Squirt would be a 57 or 58 18HP Johnson or Evinrude, but this won't get you near 30mph. I expect it would plane the boat better than the vintage 15hp and maybe give a top end speed of 23mph.

It's a small boat with a relatively short planing surface, so it's extremely sensitive to motor weight. It would be better if your 25 doesn't have electric start, as the starter probably weights 10 pounds and also requires a battery. I used a small lawnmower battery to cut down on the battery weight. I also added two additional (port and stbd) transom knees and I strongly suggest you do the same. Mr. Witt designed the single center knee with a 10HP max motor in mind; this will not do for what you're thinking about. Lastly, I would use 5200 to adhere the planking to the transom instead of epoxy. There probably won't be much support on this forum for that idea, but if I were building it again, that's what I'd do.

jeff k

Postby jeff k » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Points well taken. I have been rolling this boat around in my head for awhile now and have some ideas(danger there). I was going to build a pair of trim tabs from 1/4 inch aluminum plate that were hinged with a turnbuckle for adjustment. In my minds eye the tabs would have a 4" X 8" surface contacting the water. With the turnbuckle they could be adjusted in very small increments to fine tune the ride. Did you use the smart tabs? I looked at those but I don't think they come small enough for this size boat. The shock they come with may work, but the tabs themselves are to large and rob the top speed. I'm also with you on the 5200. Top of the line stuff in my opinion. It's as good an adhesive as the epoxy and has that extra flex/give that the epoxy does not.

jeff k

Postby jeff k » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Well I got my lumber last night and got the build frame built today. I cut out the transom and it's parts and got a coat of epoxy on them before assembly tomorrow. After that I got more of the parts laid out on the 3/4 ply, stem, breast hook, knee ect. That black transfer paper with the rolling wheel is the way to go. Makes a nice dark dotted line on the plywood. Tomorrow I will have the rest of the frame parts cut out and the stem and breast hook put together. Was a good day off work. Have tomorrow and the weekend off as well so I hope to make some good progress here. Gotta love vacation days!!

harborma

Postby harborma » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Please keep us posted with pictures on the build!

Return to “Small outboards”