launched

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

SCWooden

launched

Postby SCWooden » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks to all for your insights and input on fixing this old '58 fully wooden Renken! Launched it again this past Sunday.

Now I just need to sand the hull back down to wood, apply stain evenly then spray over that with EMC's epoxy based varnish (like the bow). Question: once sanded back to wood in order to apply a stain like JamesTown sells which is called Chris Craft stain color, do I need to cover it with several coats of epoxy and then spray on the epoxy based varnish or skip the West Marine epoxy sealing?

Thanks,
Keven
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
Took her out with 86yr old mom on Sunday...all done to get her back on the water.

specialk

Re: launched

Postby specialk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:37 am

Very nice ... I am hoping this sunday it will be warm enough to pour my floation foam this weekend...on my build..

Your boat is beautiful...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:04 pm

Be careful epoxy coating over oil based stains. The varnishes work well, but epoxy can do strange things on oil based stuff. Do a test piece and wait at least a week after staining before applying a top coat of any kind.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

SCWooden

Postby SCWooden » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:16 am

Thanks SpecialK and Roberta! Compliments AND advice all in one day. Appreciate it.

I forgot to mention that the guy before me had rolled on four coats of West Marine epoxy sealant on the hull then I roughed it up, stained but neglected to wipe the stain evenly! I call it my camo look <g>...then I applied varnish. Now stripping all that off and starting over from wood. Main reason for originally staining was that his patch work was light colored and didn't blend it so I stained with dark mahogany (regular old stain from Lowes) and that helped a lot but you can still see where he touched up with West Marine filler (beige coloring).

***This just in....as a side note, I have the original title which shows it's a 1958 wooden Renken...the president of SeaFox, Mr. Renken who's family started out here building Renken's, wants to buy the boat and bring it back into the family. I've no idea of value but he's proposed I think about getting an 18 SeaFox (without motor) as a trade. Good deal??)
Attachments
photo (1).JPG
My stain job without wiping it properly in. It brushed on evenly and looked great then I left without rubbing it all in evenly <g>. You try...you have a fail...you try again!
Day`1HullPatch.jpg
previous patch work filling imperfection in mahogany plywood and oyster shell scratches. (guy used light color fill)

Return to “Small outboards”