build form

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

dvx216

build form

Postby dvx216 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:21 am

As I slowly but together every thing for my first build (bullet)by reading and looking at all the photos I have noticed that the build form is very close to the ground and it looks like this will make some of the fairing work more difficult. Is there any reason you can't make the build form a little taller to get the work off the floor.Keeping in mind to making the form ridged with the proper supports plus a proper stand for the stem to sit on . I know that once you flip the hull if you make the form to tall it will make it difficult to do the deck work but changes to the form can be shortened to a fix this problem at that time. Or is there a reason it is built so close to the floor?

Bill Edmundson

Re: build form

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:37 am

After the flip the form goes away. Yes, you can make the form taller. Most people want the height to be set so they can reach the keel while standing on the ground. There are times that you will need to get under the hull before the flip, also. Set the height so it's easy on your back.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:15 pm

:D I echo Bill-build it so its comfortable for you .If you have to reach the keel,a short saw horse works good.When I was fibregassing my Bo-jest,I built a few short (2 ft.tall)saw horses that went all the way around the boat. then I could reach all bottom surfaces.They were easy to remove when not needed. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:02 am

I built my form 10 inches taller, partially out of necessity because of the way my garage floor has a rise at the back. But it does make it easier to get in there now that the skins are on the sides. I can see however, that doing the bottom, and later the fiberglassing is going to be more difficult because of the added height.

However, in my opinion, this is offset by the fact that I have been able to get under the boat as I added skins and do cleanup of the glue. Otherwise, all of this would have to be cleaned up after the flip when it's all cured.

The other thing is that there is a considerable amount of work done near the floor so if the form is taller, it is easier to do this work.

20130929_153323.jpg
Form is bolted to the floor for stiffness

IMG_20150118_154927.jpg
You can see the clearance at the front. IN practice, I have to enter the boat from the very back under the end
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

largej

Postby largej » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:39 am

Higher is definitely better. I am building a Utility and I set up the form at 36". You need to be sure to secure it well laterally and like you said, the stem/breasthook will need a nice sturdy platform. Make the platform so it is not directly underneath the sheers. I did not and have bloody knuckles. I can reach the bottom hull with ease and can sit on a mechanics chair and roll around to work on the side planking. I have been underneath the hull a lot to do housekeeping on glue.
Attachments
IMG_1619.JPG

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:44 pm

:D I didn't chase after the glue drips until after I flipped the boat .Then went after them with cheapie oscillating tool and kinda dull blade.If you don't have a dull blade just run into a few nails.That way you push really hard to cut into ply. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Small outboards”