Flying Saucer & Zip Floors

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Flash

Flying Saucer & Zip Floors

Postby Flash » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:49 am

Good morning,

I found a nice looking latitudinal strip floor for a Zip on the forum or the gallery. Since it was about 3AM, I forgot where it was. So I cut quarter inch mahogany strips for my floor. Now I'm wondering if I can screw these to the keel and battens? Or would I be exposing the keel and battens to water damage? If I can't screw them to the keel and battens, does anyone have an idea for installing that type of floor? Maybe the one with the floor that I saw can tell us how he did it.

Thank you.
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

jeff k

Re: Flying Saucer & Zip Floors

Postby jeff k » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 pm

If they are 1/4 inch go ahead and attach to the keel and battons. I'm assuming your keel and battons are 3/4 inch? Just attach them with 5/8 screws. If you are worried about them being water proof just predrill your holes and add a dab of clear caulk to the threads when you run them in. You could also put epoxy in the holes, but I don't think you will ever get them back out if you needed to.
This boat project is destroying my wallet, But it is enriching my soul.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Something like this photo of my ZIP?

My floor slats area about 5/16" thick and run side to side. I went with 3 floor battens per side intead of the usual 2, since this reduced my center to center span to about 6" for the floor slats and allowed for a much thinner and lighter floor with plenty of ventilation.

I planned this well in advance and angled the top side of my chine so the floor slats could run side to side acting as a series of 'chine blockers'. Note that I used strong backs or stiffeners on top of my battens for extra stiffness and to avoid screwing directly to the battens, which likely isn't a big deal. The floor slats running this way should also help keep my hull bottom flatter since it's harder for one batten to act 'individually'.
Attachments
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Frank and GD,

Thank you very much for the help. I should be able to continue with the floor tonight.

GD - Your view point is always interesting but upside down?
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Return to “Small outboards”