Squirt Frames

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

St.pierre

Squirt Frames

Postby St.pierre » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:40 am

Good Morning,
Just a quick question on the frames. I rushed a little to get frame one done, and it is a bit out of alignment. Is this fixable without doing what I think that I need to do? :? Or do I just let it ride. The good news is that I assembled frame 2 differently and it came out much better. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan
Attachments
photo 2.JPG

Roberta

Re: Squirt Frames

Postby Roberta » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am

Welcome to boat building!! I would say, if both sides are equally off, it will not matter much. If one side is off, then you could fair off portions that extend beyond the drawing and add shim stock to deficient areas by laminating strips or pieces of wood to bring the frame into alignment.

I usually trace the frame to my work table and use finishing nails to hold the frame parts in place while I glue and nail the gussets. Using small nails to hold parts down, you can pull the nail head through the frame members when removing it from the layout table with a prybar. Use wax paper to prevent the frame from gluing to the table. If you aren't already doing so, pre-drill nail holes to prevent wood from splitting.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

St.pierre

Postby St.pierre » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks Roberta,
The other side is off a little as well as you can tell per the picture. I appreciate the tip and think that I will try to fair it down a little to match the line. :)
Thanks again
-Ryan
Attachments
photo 1.JPG

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:02 pm

:D That looks like the goof is on inside-not the hull side.might not show as much as long as outside is ok (ply side)Of course,that's my two wooden pennies worth. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

jeff k

Postby jeff k » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:19 pm

If you do fair off the outer portion, make sure you also check your shear notches for proper depth as well.
This boat project is destroying my wallet, But it is enriching my soul.

areame

Postby areame » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:06 am

I don't have anything else to add from the above comments but I see you're located in Grand Rapids! It's cool to know there's another Squirt builder in this city. Let me know if you have any questions or want to look at a one that's about 70% complete.

St.pierre

Postby St.pierre » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is much appreciated.
Areame--I may just have to take you up on that offer.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun May 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Im certain this problem has long since been solved, but why not really fix the problem. Its $10 worth of Mohogany ,1/4" plywood and a few nails. Cut the vertical the section off, careful so the blade doesn't damage the horizontal section of frame. Make a new vertical and 2 new gussets, get it straight on second try and be glad you did. Perfect frames is a good place to start on a build.

Recently upgraded from lurking to communicating
Squirt builder, Matt

Return to “Small outboards”