Best resin for sanding

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

jeff k

Best resin for sanding

Postby jeff k » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:40 am

Hello fellow boat builders,
I'm finishing up my planking and looking forward to moving on to fiberglassing my squirt. The epoxy resin I have been using to build my boat is a generic type I purchased from an outfit out of Florida a while back for another boat project. It works well for making glue and such, but not for covering large finished surfaces. It takes days to dry, but even then it is always sticky and does blush a lot. I do not want to use this for fiberglassing or encapsulation. What is the best resin that dries nice and hard and can be sanded without gumming up the paper instantly. I'm building this Squirt in my basement so temps are around 65 to 68 and humidity is low. Just looking for a resin that can be sanded in 24 hours without gumming up my paper.
This boat project is destroying my wallet, But it is enriching my soul.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Best resin for sanding

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:05 am

I like MAS w/slow hardener. The low tox is very slow and remains tacky for pretty long time.

It is not recommended to sand for about a week for any epoxy. The dust is still reacting and toxic. So, take precautions.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jeff k

Postby jeff k » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:20 am

Does the MAS get a lot of blush between coats?
Edit: I just read up on it. I see it does not. Sounds like the ticket.

kens

Postby kens » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:37 pm

I preferred to sand while it was still soft, like the next day.
I used wet sanding to prevent the sandpaper from gumming up.
If I waited for the epoxy to get hard, it was hard as a rock.!!!!!!
I got a means to wet sand with 80-grit, and it is pretty fast for removing bulk material.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

John K

Postby John K » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:42 am

I never heard about wet sanding before epoxy is hard. How do you do it, Kens?

jeff k

Postby jeff k » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:54 pm

Was wondering that myself

kens

Postby kens » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:29 am

I have a 8" geared orbital sander,

I got some coarse sandpaper that could withstand some water, and went to work with it.
Water sanding flushes the sandpaper clean from clogging, and is by far faster than dry sanding.
I sanded the epoxy before it got rock hard, I guess you could say it was dry, but still 'green'

Some of the sandpaper I got was the large sheets for hardwood floor sanders, I got a few sheets of 40grit and was able to wet sand with that to start with. Then progressed to wet 80grit, then wet 180, then finish.

BTW, I found that epoxy resin can fill sand scratches of 80grit, if you are fairing/filling. I found no need to take care to finish all the way down to 320 nor 400 grit if you are only fairing or filling.
For paint grade, yes, you finish to 280 or better, but just for bulk filling, the resin will fill 80grit.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

slug

Postby slug » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Kens; I bought one of those for doing the planking on the Gentry on the recommendation of a body shop acquaintance. It's super for fairing, but you need lots of air.
Doug

Return to “Small outboards”