CPES first?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

jeff k

CPES first?

Postby jeff k » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi Boat builders,
I am sanding my bare plywood hull, filling screw holes and imperfections in preparation for fiberglassing my Squirt. Any issues with coating the hull with CPES prior to fiberglassing? I was thinking the CPES would penetrate better then the epoxy resin and cloth. Good idea, or waste of money and CPES?
This boat project is destroying my wallet, But it is enriching my soul.

billy c

Re: CPES first?

Postby billy c » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:25 pm

i can see doing the interior surfaces with CPES. pretty durable outer coating with just glass/epoxy.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

chugalug

Re: CPES first?

Postby chugalug » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:55 pm

:D It's really up to you.your boat wouldn't take much CPES(I used about a gallon on the bottom of my Bo-jest) was 4 coats worth and that was 1/2 gal of resin and 1/2 gal of thinners to make up that gallon of CPES.mainly wanted it to soak in seams and ply edges.unsure if it would soak thru waterproof glue in ply.did seam to soften the fillers I used on screw holes but after letting cure for a week ,it seamed to harden up again.Used rest of 2 gal CPES kit on inside.using hand -operated spray bottle on hard to get to spots.If you use that stuff,make sure to wear respirator in enclosed areas or do it outside .the fumes are pretty brutal.Unsure about the totalboat stuff-they claim no fumes.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Small outboards”