squirt Chine

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

tomf

squirt Chine

Postby tomf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:56 pm

I am building squirt in NH. Can anyone tell me how to use the chine locating tool that is shown in fig 6 of "Build it yourself the Glen-L Way. It also appears in the chapter on chines in "Boat building with Plywood" The tool is described as: "a scrap of plywood used as a jig to determine the set back of the chine from the stem" but how is it used to determine the set back

Thanks for your help

Tom

mrintense

Re: squirt Chine

Postby mrintense » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi Tom,

I believe you are talking about this tool (in photos).

IMG_20140816_161306.jpg
Tool lines up on the center line

IMG_20140816_161247.jpg

Here is some additional information and some caveats.

The cutout edge should be straight across on the outer "forks".
By lining up the end fork on a center line, you can use the inner fork as a guide to where an imaginary line drawn through the center line will be on the side.

The caveats. This tool is useful, but it is not a magic bullet and you must carefully consider any cuts or sanding you make based upon the use of this tool. It is quite easy to place it incorrectly. But it is great for helping to visualize that "imaginary line". You will probably want to make a few examples of different sizes and throat depth. Make them as needed since they are easy to make.

When I was installing the chine (and later fairing) I often would spend a considerable time just thinking about what I was going to do and try to anticipate any potential problems before making the commitments of cutting or sanding.

Good luck, and perhaps someone else will chime in with a better explanation.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

tomf

Postby tomf » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:13 am

Thanks very much. I kind of get it and your pics will be great help. I think it will become clearer when I have made the tool and played around with it a little

Tom

Duncklee

Postby Duncklee » Mon May 18, 2015 5:53 pm

My son and I are also building a Squirt in Central NH,perhaps we can connect during this project

Return to “Small outboards”