Outboard and controls

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

stcokyza

Outboard and controls

Postby stcokyza » Thu May 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Hello everyone:
I am building a Super Spartan and am to the point of outboard and controls. I do not want to utilize the cable/pulley steering system as suggested by the plans, rather, I would like to use a Teleflex cable control. My challenge is matching such a control to an outboard. I purchased a 1972 Johnson 9.5 but it does not appear that it may be converted to controls. I need to stick with 10 HP or less for licensing and to allow my sons to drive. Also, this is purely for pleasure (and cost effective) so race engines are out. Does anybody have guidance as to exact motor (make, model) and control part numbers to guide me?
Thanks, Steve

pamelalynne1

Re: Outboard and controls

Postby pamelalynne1 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:14 am

You sound like you're from NY with the 10 hp rule. LOL I would suggest looking for a 1968 or earlier vintage Evinrude or Johnson 10 HP. and the same vintage remote controls. They all had the push and twist connection on the lifting handle. I am currently building an Ace runabout from Popular Mechanix and I'm using Teleflex. I just cut a piece of aluminum angle and will drill the needed holes to bolt it to my 1958 Evinrude Lark 35 and to the Teleflex cable. You need to also consider how to mount the cable to the transom. I have not looked at the Spartan. One of the others who has built that model might be able to help you with how to mount the cable to the transom. You will need enough swing form the mounting tube where the cable connects to get full range of steering.

stcokyza

Re: Outboard and controls

Postby stcokyza » Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 am

Thanks! Any Super Spartan builders out there that did not go with the steering controls per the plans? Pictures would be awesome.

Return to “Small outboards”