Minnesota TNT RESTO/revival

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

els1989

Minnesota TNT RESTO/revival

Postby els1989 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:59 am

So yesterday I purchased a Glenn L TNT mainly for the motor on the boat to put it on my fishing boat.... But this thing is just too cool to discard or resell without bringing it back to its prime.. And really fun to drive.. It has some damage to the front and stress cracking along the transom where the weight of the 40hp mariner is sure to be the cause of. So I need some helpful advice on how to save this fun little boat and restore it to respectable condition

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated.. I also received all plans and buying guide information with this purchase... So hopefully I will be able to build my very own in the future

Thanks Elliott
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Roberta

Re: Minnesota TNT RESTO/revival

Postby Roberta » Tue May 26, 2015 9:17 am

Welcome to the Forum!!

I would clear off any paint in the affected areas to access damage. If you can spread the cracks a bit, then wick in some epoxy. Then I would drill some holes from one part to the other (coamings to transom, etc) and drive in some epoxied hardwood dowels. Some additional gussets from the transom and coamings would also help.Then clamp and/or screw everything back into place and reseal and repaint. Definitely a worthwhile project. Good luck.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

els1989

Postby els1989 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:35 am

As you can see the front has some more serious damage but all in all this is an awesome little boat none the less... It will be getting a 15hp Nissan put on it and the mariner will be going on my fishing boat... So any helpful advice as to how to fix the front will also be greatly appreciated
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 26, 2015 12:39 pm

You're right that it was WAY over-powered and loaded. Roberta is right on about the transom repair. The deck is no big deal. If you have bad wood that you can't get out try CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer).

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Small outboards”