Still working my Bullet

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

shandman

Still working my Bullet

Postby shandman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:51 am

I'm going on 3+ years since I started my Bullet build. Only on weekends, and usually only a few hours at that. It's been a while since I posted any pics, so here's one below. For the seat, I wanted to approximate a porch swing affair, but with teak strips instead of the typical redwood found on those swings. Went down to my lumber supplier in north Atlanta and said I need a 8' x 13/16"x 8" (or so, can't quite recall) of teak. The guy says "Wow, that's gonna cost you a bunch!" He recommended iroko as a substitute -at about 1/10th the cost of teak- which worked out beautifully.

I split the plank, ripped the the two halves into strips, cut 'em to length then beveled the edges. I applied boiled linseed oil to finish, although no finish is really needed. I didn't know that iroko contains naturally occurring little pockets of silica and limestone "rocks". I got a really nice fireworks display when cutting the stuff on the table saw albeit to the great detriment of the Woodworker III. :-(

Art Shand

gap998

Re: Still working my Bullet

Postby gap998 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:18 pm

Really cool idea - Very 'Barcelona'
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Return to “Small outboards”