Dan's Zip

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

dcarbone

Dan's Zip

Postby dcarbone » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:30 am

So now that I have my frames all made up and soon to be building the building form I was researching on what I would like for my side planking I looked at okoume marine ply and had it priced at 114$ a sheet but I really don't like the look of Sapele mahogany but cant get it in marine ply I guess my question is if I use Sapele will I regret it as in will it fall apart because its not marine glue or am I protected since its going to be encapsulated in epoxy and fiber glassed.
Thanks for your input - Dan

dcarbone

Re: Dan's Zip

Postby dcarbone » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:44 am

i like this look would like to copy for the side of my zip
Attachments
sapele.jpg

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:37 am

Most all plywoods use waterproof glue, so I don't think that is the issue. Marine grade usually means the same quality wood in all the layers and no voids. Unless the plywood is just a Sapele veneer on cheap plywood for furniture use, I would think is should work fine. It would be good if you can look it over in person before buying.

An alternative might be to use thinner layer of marine plywood and then laminate the Sapele if you can get it thin as well.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:53 am

Where do you live.
Have you looked at LL Johnston in Michigan. and in ohio there is a place where I got my marine plywood from
it is called Homestead lumber.
Jeff

gap998

Postby gap998 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:11 am

Personally I'd stick with Marine but then again in Wales it even rains indoors! :lol:

You could go for a lower cost plywood face veneer & strip plank on top in a wood of your choice.

The purple stained deck would be an interesting look though.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

dcarbone

Postby dcarbone » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks for the input I live in NH and I think I looked them up but with shipping and crating added on was close to 1000$ but I think I found a place in NH that might have the sapele mahogany in marine so I will check there

dcarbone

Postby dcarbone » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:43 am

So far I have my frames all made up and some encapsulated in leaving the transom alone at the moment because I'm picking up a motor on Sunday and the guy is unsure if it a long or short
I picked up more African mahogany yesterday in 16' that's 5/4 thick for my keel and battens along with the chines and sheers so hope to build the building form this weekend and get it looking like a boat
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:10 am

Nice work so far Dan. Frames look really cool at this point in the build. I think they are designed that way to keep you motivated!! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Hey dan, looks great. I just flipped my zip so i am far from a pro/experienced builder but i have uploaded a video every month to youtube for the last 12 months documenting my build, if your interested you might find something in there useful, if you search "building the zip" on the tube you'll find em, looking awesome.....josh
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:24 pm

I'd say Josh's vids are a must if you're building a zip - informative, inspirational & definitely "Not too shabby" :wink:
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

dcarbone

Postby dcarbone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:28 pm

So just wanted give a update been slow on the build had to replace my roof so ate into my budget but I'm back building. I got the frames all lined up on my jig and got the keel screwed down and started to put on the first chine I was gonna do the lamination technique but I have a wood steamer and like the idea of using a solid piece of mahogany any one try the steam method I know steam works great for bending just never tried it on this type of project but I let you know how it goes will take a couple of hours to steam
Attachments
image.jpg

dcarbone

Postby dcarbone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:30 pm

I did see those videos they did help nice job

dcarbone

Postby dcarbone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:58 pm

So far so god only a half hour into steaming the 1" chine and it bent over like spaghetti lol another hour or so and I'll be able to really shape it into place
Attachments
image.jpg

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Look's Great!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

dcarbone

Postby dcarbone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:30 pm

any idea on how high the chine should be on the stem ? I keep trying to find a answer with no luck thanks

Return to “Small outboards”