Squirt build planning

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

ebs675

Squirt build planning

Postby ebs675 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi all:

I am planning a squirt build for this winter, and I want to keep it as simple and light as possible. I was considering the the flying saucer or zip; but, if I go that route, I know I would want an electric starter, battery, lights, radio etc... and would be tempted away from the simplicity I believe the boat was designed for. With the squirt, I do not feel tempted to add all the bells an whistles. Also, I am building in a pretty small space, so the squirt it is!

Couple questions:

1. I am about 168 pounds, 5' 9", and plan to stretch it to 11' and use a 15 to 20(max) HP motor with a pull start. No battery, ect. Given these stats, will the boat be prone to porpoising or should I be good in that regard? This is something I see that the flying saucer has issues with at times, but have not heard much on the squirt. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Is it worth the money, in your opinion, to order the frame kit? ...And, is there any part of the frame kit that would not work if I extend to 11' ?

That's it for now. I really appreciate the help.

-Eric

BarnacleMike

Re: Squirt build planning

Postby BarnacleMike » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:27 am

Hi Eric,

The Squirt is a GREAT little boat... and in my opinion, line-for-line, the most gracefully shaped outboard in the Glen-L repertoire, even if it is also one of the smallest.

I'm happy that Glen-L is once again offering frame kits for the Squirt. Yes. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It will give you a great head-start. And no, there is no part of it that would not work with your plans to extend the boat to 11'. It will work just fine. The lengthening of the boat has only to do with the spacing between the frames, not the shapes of the frames themselves.

I can't really answer your question on porpoising. From what you're discussing, I wouldn't worry about it... although I myself wouldn't put a motor larger than 15hp on an 11' Squirt. If you do have porpoising issues, there are several things you can do to compensate... such as placement of the gas tank or adding smart tabs.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

BayouBengal

Re: Squirt build planning

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:21 pm

I think you're really going about this the right way, "simple and light" construction. When I built mine, I added everything you could think of and I believe the additional weight made engine and prop selection a much more complex issue. While I finally got it figured out, if I were to build another Squirt, I would do just as you plan to do and keep it lightweight.

In regards to the engine, I think engine weight is a bigger concern than horsepower in regards to the porposing. I'd really try to stay around 100 pounds for the motor. Of course due to the fact that most newer motors are 4 stroke, they are generally heavier than the old ones; so staying under 100 pounds and having adequate HP to push two adults through the water can be a challenge but you should be able to find something that works particularly since you won't have the starter weight (probably about 10 pounds). The battery weight savings also will help a lot.

I don't think you'd really save much money by building the frames yourself when you consider the cost of the wood, glue, and screws. But they're also not very difficult to build and it may be something that you want to do (meaning if you're going to build it, you might as well have your hands and sweat on every piece of wood on it).

Keep us posted.

Return to “Small outboards”