Just diving in

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Quincy

Just diving in

Postby Quincy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:52 pm

We are lucky enough to have friends who let us stay at their lake home. We really enjoy it, but each time we go we end up renting a boat (mostly for tubing) and a jet ski for at least one day each. Needless to say, the cost adds up.
My kids want a jet ski, but I want something a little more utilitarian. I am thinking of building a small (under 12', preferably around 10') motorboat from GlenL.
What am I after?:
1) Small enough to be easy to transport, even on the back of a pickup if need be.
2) Can take a big enough motor to tow a tube at at least 25mph
3) Holds at least 2 people, albeit snugly
4) Is the easiest to build that accomplishes the above. I know how to use a saw and other tools, but I don't want to make this a life's work. Really, I am after a utilitarian boat, nothing more.

It seems the Dyn O Mite would fit the bill for 1-3 above. Any other suggestions?
Would anyone suggest the Dyn O Jet over the Dyn O Mite? I've heard jet motors use a lot more fuel and are harder to maintain.

Thanks all.

galamb

Re: Just diving in

Postby galamb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Which model is a very personal choice and 25 mph out of a little boat is "fast".

Not being familiar with the particular model you mention, I can't speak to whether it would suit what you are after or not.

I can give you an opinion on the difference between a jet model and a regular "prop job".

So first, to your note about fuel consumption.

Yes, horse for horse a jet burns more fuel. Why, because a great deal of horsepower is chewed up in the "jet" process such that to get say the "equivalent" of 45 horses at the back end of the boat from a jet, you need a 60 horse power head (which is exactly what the outboard mfgs do - they simply bolt on a jet unit in place of the normal prop). A prop is just far more efficient at producing "thrust" than the impeller in a jet on a horse for horse basis.

So while a 45 horse "prop" model would burn 4.5 gallons per hour if you were running full throttle, the jet, would burn 6 gallons per hour to achieve the same top end speed (these are fairly loose rules of thumb that have been borne out in real on water tests - but of course there is always variables/exceptions).

However, sometimes the "extra fuel costs" is absolutely necessary for the safe operation of the water craft - could you imagine if jet ski's had props - how many riders would be permanently "maimed" after falling off and encountering the prop - so in that case, a jet is a "must" for safety.

Also, with jet units there is very little "hanging" below the hull, so they can run in super shallow water - barely more than needed to float the boat - so in rivers, shallows etc, again they are invaluable and necessary.

I could drive a smart car to work and save countless gallons of fuel compared to driving my 1/2 ton pick-up - but sometimes you "pay the premium" to better suit your wants/needs.

Boats are expensive toys and if a couple gallons of gas will take it from "viable" to "un-affordable" then the boat, like many, will spend it's life in the driveway on a trailer until the significant other makes you get rid of that "eyesore" that's hogging space :)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Just diving in

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:11 am

Graham--great lesson on jet vs outboard power and well said. Quincy, For your needs it sounds like the Dyno's are a good choice. And, they are designed for Stitch & Glue construction which is an easier method and will go together fairly quickly.
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

Return to “Small outboards”