Squirt flat sawn mahogany for frame?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Jgg12002

Squirt flat sawn mahogany for frame?

Postby Jgg12002 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Greetings group
I found some what appears to be flat sawn mahogany for $2 foot on 1" thick by 5-1/2" w x10 foot boards. Would this be ok for the Squirt frames. I can get 1/4 sawn for $9 a B.F. But cost is a huge difference. I'm out of work for 6 months due to a upcoming back surgery so I'm on hold for a while on starting my build but it's going to happen! As an alternative I assume it would be ok for decking.
I have found this forum to be an inspiring place to visit.
Thanks for any In site you may offer good or bad
Respectfully John
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg

Hercdrvr

Re: Squirt flat sawn mahogany for frame?

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:34 am

I use flat sawn material for frames with no problems. As for the decking, it's all about appearance. If your ok with large cathedrals ,as the pro wood workers call them, in the grain then $2 a BF sounds great. In my research of 1/4 vs flat sawn, can't find any mention of a difference in structure strength only the tendency of flat sawn to cup. I've had no cupping/ warping of the material yet.

My 2 cents
Matt

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:47 am

The perimeter boards are flat sawn and the middle of decking is 1/4 sawn. Zoom in and you'll see the difference in the grain. I had use flat sawn to get 12 inch wide material for the large curve up front
Hope this helps in your decision
Matt
Attachments
image.jpg

Jgg12002

Postby Jgg12002 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks for the info Matt
I'll see if the wood is still available. I thought I could use as much off the straight grain as possible for the frames, Chines / rails. It seems like a good deal and the frames seem small to get much cupping.
If my upcoming surgery works out I might be able to start building in 3 month's instead of 6 or 9 months. They found the disc that had to be removed wasn't calcified so my surgery will be much less invasive not having to deflate a lung and remove 3 ribs move my heart to the side ect. So it's a good news weekend all around.
Respectfully John

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:50 pm

If you were building one of the V-8 powered high-performance speed boats, I'd hesitate to use anything but the best quartersawn lumber, but on a Squirt..., I think you'll be fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to build a Squirt out of red oak, 100% plywood frames, or even premium yellow pine.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Jgg12002

Postby Jgg12002 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:23 pm

I went to check out the mahogany but it had nail holes in it from decking to bad because there were several pieces with near vertical grain but I passed.
On a side note I built some red oak holders for my downriggers in my boat and covered them with MAS epoxy and varnished them and they split in less than a month of being in the weather. There about 5 years old and they look nasty all split up but they still hold the downriggers. I will never use red oak for anything outside again.
I also just finished a boat build, wish I could scale it up. My uncle passed away before finishing it and he had it all framed up and my aunt asked me to finish it for her and she was thrilled to see it completed.
For som reason the pics came off my ipad upside down must be a sign!
Respectfully John
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Yea, I was a wood rookie when I rebuild the bed of my 54 Chevy 1 ton with red oak. Luckily it's inside and the only exposure to the elements are bat droppings in the barn.
Matt

Return to “Small outboards”