Bottom Paint.

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

cusoak

Bottom Paint.

Postby cusoak » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:56 am

I want to redue the bottom paint on Zip. the bottom was fiberglassed and painted with anitfouling paint.
But I was never happy with the color.
First of all I wanted a Hunter or Forest green and they do not make either color. The boat set's on a trailer or boat lift most of the time.
I know that I can get the color I want in a top side paint, but I am wondering how long it could set in the water before it might start to come off.
If I were to go with the top side paint what prep would need to be done with the paint that is on it now.
Thanks Jeff

Roberta

Re: Bottom Paint.

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:34 am

Topside paints are fine on the bottom for short term mooring in water (week or less). I would strip the bottom back to the fiberglass, thoroughly clean, then prime and paint. I'm not sure if setting in the water would necessarily blister or remove the paint. Bottom paints have an ablative characteristic that prevents growth on the bottom during prolonged water mooring.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:58 am

:D Jamestown Distributors carries a Totalboat ablative bottom paint that is green(Jd select)it's a little spendy but I only used 1/2 gal on bottom of my Bo-jest in a teal color
IMG_0692[1].JPG
I still have to paint boot stripe.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:45 am

I agree with Roberta in that I would strip the bottom back to the epoxy and begin anew. If you are to have any success with any process, you must begin with a solid foundation. That just makes sense.

Roberta wrote:... Bottom paints have an ablative characteristic that prevents growth on the bottom during prolonged water mooring.

This is true. A few years ago, though, I remember shopping for bottom paint and as I recall, the instructions stated that the boat should be immersed in the water very soon after the anti-fouling paint is applied. This is because exposure to the air soon caused the stuff to lose its ablative characteristics. This is a perfect example of what I just stated in my other post about demystifying paints. Because, if we have to have a bottom paint to keep the boat in the water, then putting it on the trailer will ruin it. If we use paint that's good for trailerable boats, we don't get any ablative properties. We are darned if we do and darned if we don't.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:26 pm

For what it's worth, my 2 cents.

I used Interlux VC Performance Epoxy on the bottom of my ZIP, it comes in white but I have read where it can be tinted. To my understanding it has no significant anti-fouling characteristics, but it is rated for up to 60 days immersion, as I recall. I have now well over 5,000 miles trailering, lots of launches and retrievals, and 3 summers sitting in the water for over a month at a time and it seems to be bullet proof.

It's nasty stuff and not cheap but the one thing I didn't want was hull maintenance issues. I paid to have it sprayed by a professional despite my spraying experience and consider the cost well worth it.

Topside paint is Topside paint, and for a 'showpiece' that's babied probably fine, but I use my boat and don't particularly want to spend much time on maintenance. I also tend to not order Seafood in a Steak restaurant. :)
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:06 pm

VC is great paint. Mine has ben on for about 10 years. Not a scratch.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:56 am

Bil and Gd when you used the Interlux paint on the bottom of your boats were the bottom's Fiberglassed.
I used West System on mine.
Jeff

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:10 am

The bottom of my ZIP was glassed and epoxied. The VC performance epoxy was sprayed by a pro directly on the cleaned and sanded epoxy finish. Now that I have more experience with spraying I might try it myself if I were ever to build another boat, NOT, but then I might not because there are some particularly nasty chemicals in it. To have a VERY low maintenance bottom paint was worth paying a pro to shoot it, cost me about $250.00.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:17 am

Was 1 quart enough. And do you know if it can be tinted
Thanks Jeff

Ps a friend of mine was getting rid of some merc parts and motors.
My son bought a complete 44 cubic in. 300 for 200 dollars ,I gat a 400 power head and lower unit just like my 61 400 for 100.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:53 am

LEONARD L: I use Interlux VC epoxy to repair fiberglass sailboats for a local community sailing association for kids. Like you, I had no guidance on tinting of the base white so I experimented. I have been successful in using tinting compounds purchased from West Marine that I have used for tinting gel coat. I have been able to tint the base white VC paint to match the decks of the 420 sailboats repaired. It is easy to do... you just have to experiment with the volumes of the tint used........ good luck.... .Lenny Lundquist, Charleston, SC Dec 13, 2011

I copied and pasted the above from Jamestown Q & A section on VC Performance Epoxy. I have no personal experience with tinting it as I wanted white.

I bought a gallon and if I recall correctly the pro painter shot about 7 coats.

Kudos on the engine finds. Should you find a 44 cyber power head I am in dire need of one, after totally restoring my Mark58 I lost cylinder #3 on the maiden run. The beautifully painted 'shell' is sitting in dry dock awaiting a new head!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

gap998

Postby gap998 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:04 pm

gdcarpenter is correct about the toxicity - 2 pack paints must ONLY be sprayed using an externaly air fed mask & the room properly ventilated afterwards. The combination of the two parts when atomised, produces a potent carcinogen .
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:19 pm

I've chimed in as the sole voice promoting Supermarine Ironsides many times.

Rolled it on.

Two seasons, not a nick or scuff ...and I use the heck out of my boat--beaching, dock bumping, you name it.

It is everything the advertisements say it is. Milspec.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:37 pm

That's why there are so many different paints, no one is a clear winner. I simply recommend VC because I used it and it worked for me.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:15 am

I now have my project boat turned over,the bottom fiberglassing is done and painted. Sides are also painted. Want to paint the interior.
Looking for advice no which paint I can spray on
Looking for a semi or gloss finish that might clean up well if dirt shoes get in the boat.
White color I think.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks Jeff.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:16 am

Also nothing has been done to the inside except all the old paint has been stripped and sanded off.
Jeff

Return to “Small outboards”