Utility Gunwale

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

largej

Utility Gunwale

Postby largej » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:35 am

Hi Folks,
I posted this in the Lumber section and got good advice on not trying to bend but use multiple 1/4 laminations. But I would like to ask more broadly; looking for advise on installing Mahogany gunwales to match my spray rails. I know how much work it was to shape and install the 1-1/2 X1-1/4 spray rails. It was worth the effort but makes me re-think about the process for the gunwale.
I plan to use 1-1/2 X3/4 Mahogany. I was thinking about shaping it now before I install the bow decking. I could just set-up a frame on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and slowly bend the wood like I did the spray rails. Then use the boat's sheer as the final "jig" because there is a twist to sheer that can only be shaped in place.
The plan was to finish the bow decking, I want to fiberglass, prime/paint and then install the gunwales and finish them to match the spray rails - natural. I thought about installing the decking and "flatten" the junction of the decking and side then add the gunwale. This will eliminate the twist but I loose the ability to clamp and shape gunwale to the sheer.
Any suggestions; past experiences/practices would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Jim
Here is a picture of where I am at:
Attachments
IMG_1908.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Re: Utility Gunwale

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:04 am

Jim

I think this is kind of what you're thinking. I set up temporary post from the coaming. I put plastic tape on the post so the epoxy wouldn't stick. I did my laminating in place. Same sort of idea.

Bill
Attachments
101_3359.JPG
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

largej

Postby largej » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks Bill - I was thinking if I flatten - make the joint at decking and side junction vertical - I can take away the twist at the bow and just deal with the bend. Not sure if I want the gunwale to follow the sheer. Does that make sense?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:54 am

Sounds like your talking about a rub rail? Or are they the same thing?

largej

Postby largej » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Yes I believe so. At least that is the intended purpose of the mahogany strip in this case. Protection and aesthetics. Getting good info but still not sure what way to go.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:21 pm

I think the best aesthetically would be to fair a vertical mounting for the rub rail.

largej

Postby largej » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:54 am

Yes, that is what I am thinking and leaning. I just have to decide the height. Can't be too high because I don't want to cut into the sides - maybe an inch high; I guess tall would be a better descriptor and 1/2 thick. I could use 2 1/4 strips and laminate. This would require vertically flattening the sides 3/4 of an inch and the decking 1/4 roughly speaking.
I think I am getting closer to a solution.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Jim

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Hey, Jim, with only 1/2 thick material it should take the bend nicely without having to laminate. The sheers on my boat are two thicknesses of 5/8 material and they bent in just fine. 1/2 inch will bend even easier especially if you are not introducing a twist.

largej

Postby largej » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi Matt,
That is really helpful. Now I think I have a plan that makes sense and is really doable. I feel more relaxed about that phase! Thanks again for the feedback and peace of mind.
Jim

largej

Postby largej » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:27 am

Folks - This project just got serious and I am now committed to getting the boat out of the basement.

I picked this up off Craig's List. 1969 20hp Johnson Sea Horse. Looks in good shape, well maintained. I have to start leaning mechanic skills now. Getting the Service Manual. Building stand and will test over the holidays. Merry Christmas!
Attachments
IMG_1987.JPG

largej

Postby largej » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:41 am

Hi Folks,
This post might be out of place but thought I would continue on my thread for the Utility build. Gunwale done thanks in part to your suggestions.
I found a 1969 20 hp Johnson on Craig's List for $300 and plan on using it on the my boat. I know the specs call for a smaller outboard but this is what I have and want to know if I should beef-up the transom.
Here is a pic of what I have now - 1-1/2 transom with 1/2 knees. Maybe a knee in the middle extending up above the existing knees? I have about 5 inches before I have to account for the motor mount clamps.
Any thoughts? I want to add before I finish painting. (PVC - pathway under floorboards for future electrical wiring or speedometer tube)
Thanks - Jim
Attachments
IMG_2100.JPG
IMG_2102.JPG

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:04 am

Those old motors were fairly light, I wouldnt worry too much except if you trailer it in place. I feel rough roads are harder on it than anything on the water. But I do think you would be happier with the performance of something between 6-10hp. I had a 15 on mine at first and switched to 8hp.

largej

Postby largej » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:29 am

Thanks - I appreciate your input and experience. My 1st build was the Tiny Titan and the plan was to share the same motor for both boats until I figure out long range what I will do with them. I am thinking the 20hp on the Tiny Titan will be quite the ride.

Return to “Small outboards”