Water Drainage

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

weasel

Water Drainage

Postby weasel » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:35 pm

I am building the Tunnel Might. I was wondering how the water gets out of the runners from the bow area and between Frame #1 and Frame #2 to the rear drain plugs? Is is safe to put a 1/4" high x 1" wide half moon arc cut on the low end of the gussets? Any Ideas? Thanks

chugalug

Re: Water Drainage

Postby chugalug » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:20 pm

Isn't there limbers mentioned on plans ? They would be located on each side of bottom battons.They are drainage holes.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

weasel

Postby weasel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 pm

It's hard to see on the plans it looks like they are an angle cut right next to the runner keels on the lowest part of the runners frame #1 & #2. It's tough to see on the plans though, Thanks I'll rig it like that I'm thinking. If you put the flotation foam in I suppose you need to trim that bottom corner off before you set it down in place too. Thanks and have a good day!!

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:08 pm

I wouldn't use the pour-in floatation.it expands everywhere and would plug the drainage holes.I used it on the bow area on my Bo-jest under the front of berths.also,if you're putting in bilge pumps in each of the sponsons,small pieces of foam can get in impellers and jam them up.I like using the automatic kind however adding a battery for power might be a little weight restrictive for your small rig

weasel

Postby weasel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:44 pm

You're right a battery won't be put in it's heavy and in the way. I would never be able to ever get to the bilge pumps to replace them. I want to put the round drain with the plugs (1/2 inch plugs) on both sides on the bottom in the back of the runners, but they will be screwed and glued in on the bottom outer transfer frame just above the bottom runner planking. I don't think it will be a problem? Otherwise they will be above the bottom outer transfer frame and not drain anything until it's 2" deep Hmmm. There are no drain plug plans for this boat, but I did see some photos, but they are hard to exactly see where they are placed. Thanks and I am working on it right now.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:32 pm

I think that would be a smart move. otherwise if you get alot of water in there,you would have to tip boat over.maybe just pull up on dock or trailer and pull plugs. :D wonder if you need a battery if a snowmoble battery would work? they are alot smaller yet can crank over large snowmoble engines.just a thought.or ATV battery.

Return to “Small outboards”