West System vs 5200 Planked Hulls

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

gdcarpenter

Re: West System vs 5200 Planked Hulls

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Attached chain block to stem eye bolt, jacked up trailer to raise boat and slid panel over pipe. Sort of a boat rotisserie :)

Now just need to fab some 2X8's or 2X10's to cross the boat at front and rear of open cockpit area. Then place additional chain block about 1/3 back from front with a sling around the boat. This will allow me to flip the boat and then support the topside with the 2X cross boards.

Then I will be able to investigate further :)

There is a 1" coupler slid over the 3/4" pipe that was drilled and tapped for a 1/4 X 20 cap screws to be used as set screws. I will add another one of the to the outside of the panel. The bearings I had laying around from a former life as a Mechanic.

I set the hole in the panel at 38", and this left me just barely enough room to extricate the trailer for my first overall view of it, once the trailer was jacked up enough to slide the pipe into the panel.

And yes it may be an awkward working heigh to tackle the hull bottom, but it was a "Catch 22", and I needed the height to extract the trailer. Once all the bottom planks are off I can crawl underneath and get inside to work on the frames at a comfortable height. Beggars can't be Choosers :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:58 am

Thats a great Idea for working on the boat inside and out, you can always build something to stand on to get the right to work on the bottom.
If you need any thing for your TeeNee tralier there is a guy in Springfield that has some new parts for them.
What size motor did the have on the boat.
And I did look at tht boat with the idea of buying it.
Jeff

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:19 am

The boat came with a behemoth 75 HP V4 Johnson, not sure what I will do with that? Since I now have a replacement power head for my Mark58, if that works out, I might run that on the Century. That alone should take ooff about 160 pounds off the boat!

Thanks for the TeeNee parts source, so far th trailer is looking pretty good.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:45 am

Heve you already done some stripping to the sides of finish
What did the inside upholestary look loke.
Jeff

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:32 am

Hi Jeff, there's a photo earlier in this thread of the interior components. They look to be all there and all original. They will inevitably need to be reupholstered, but at least I have the originals as templates.

The second owner ran her for a few years then parked it. Apparently he had her ready to stain 3 times but life kept getting in the way. I will likely dig out allow the filler in the screw holes and use mahogany bungs, give me a chance to check all the screws for tightness. God knows how many bungs there will be.

How does this compare to the Century you refurbished?

What year/model is your Century, and did it have a built in fuel tank. Mine came with a 12 gallon Johnson Cruiser tank. Also, what powers your Century and how fast do you think it goes?

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:17 am

My Century is a 1966 17.5 ft Resorter It has a 1966 Chrysler 318 marine,225 hp, Not sure if it all is a truck engine but at least the heads are.
I know this because I had to have some exhaust manifold work done (crack welded in both) then out because the exhaust ports were different than a car block.
Anyway with my daughters jet ski with a speedometer on it, we went out and ran side by side and with just me in it I got it to 48mph.
It has a 1to1 ratio velvet drive transmission turning a 13x13 supercup porp.
It does has a built in gas tank, the dang thing holds 35 gal.
It cruises nicely at about 2500 Rpm.
With a full tanks of gas weights about 2680 lbs.
It is a great boat to dki behind

Yes there are a lot of screws. Removing putty of bunga is a pain. I used a ice pick and a cut off straight screw driver to ream out the holes.
I took a straight blade screw driver that was about the same size as the bung hole. put it in a batters drill and on the slow speed turned it on and reamed out the putty or bund.
i also tried a straight blade screw driver and a hammer. Put the screw driver in the middle of the bung and split it and popped it out in halves.
Not fun
w
2 boats.jpg
ill you be able to share pictures of your in the stand, will it rotate.

Return to “Small outboards”