side skeg ?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

greg mc

side skeg ?

Postby greg mc » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:33 pm

how long ond wide are the rear side i think there splash gaurds i lilke the look but don't see many boats with it, any help would be nice , thanks Greg

chugalug

Re: side skeg ?

Postby chugalug » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:25 am

:D I used to have an old Dorsett Belmont fibreglass boat that had side spray rails in back.front of spray rail was about center of boat ,then flared out slightly all the way to the stern.and even incorporated the lift handles.there are images on web if you search "Dorsett Belmont boats"
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:37 am

These are used on boats with tumblehome. That is the shear is smaller than the chine. They act as a guard at the dock by being a bumper/fender. The chine could bump the piling under water and be damaged. They start near the widest point of the boat and get wider as the side narrows. You would want the slightly wider than the chine.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

greg mc

Postby greg mc » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:05 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:These are used on boats with tumblehome. That is the shear is smaller than the chine. They act as a guard at the dock by being a bumper/fender. The chine could bump the piling under water and be damaged. They start near the widest point of the boat and get wider as the side narrows. You would want the slightly wider than the chine.

Bill

thanks Bill, that makes since, the way the back is shaped. for some way i could not get that but the way you said that it make perfect since. Greg so they need to be what about an inch wider? then the wider part of the rear aft

greg mc

Postby greg mc » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Any help on how wide and long and as to were to put it aft to center and what angle would be very nice thanks, Greg mc

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:55 am

Adding them is optional. I did not put them on my Malahini. I think location and size is up to the builder based on their aesthetic sense. The Glen-L plans may show them in a line drawing, but not really have details in the plans. You could estimate some dimensions from the pictures.

I believe Art Atkinson put some on his Squirt and he detailed the process in his blog. You can check it out here: http://artatkinson.blogspot.com/

Return to “Small outboards”