Not Glenl, but much like my Zip

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

gdcarpenter

Not Glenl, but much like my Zip

Postby gdcarpenter » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Just want to share my new project. If acceptable to moderators I will continue this thread.

It's a 1957 Century 'Palomino' on a 1957 TeeNee trailer and came with a 75 HP Johnson.

Still looking for feedback/discussion of West System vs 5200 for restoration.
Attachments
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Re: Not Glenl, but much like my Zip

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:45 pm

Keep posting on her! I did post on the other thread.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:58 pm

Neat boat gdcarpenter. I'll be interested in hearing if you find restoration more difficult than new construction. Always seemed to me restoration would be more difficult and take about the same amount of time as new. Would enjoy the comparison as you go.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome, I'm still wondering what I have gotten myself into. This "Restoration" thing is a whole new ball of wax! It does not, in my mind, contradict my 'Tag Line': "First, Last And Only Boat Build".

My wife felt widowed for the two years of my Zip build and I promised her no more builds. For her gratiousness in indulging me, she alone will name this boat.

The original owner bought it in 1958 or 1959. I actually have the sales receipt for the trailer, $250.00 in 1959, and a 1958 Century Price List, the 'Palomino' was listed at $1,330.00.

The original owner used it for about 15 years than parked it, so it was literally a proverbial 'Barn Find'. The second owner met the first through a common interest in classic American Cars. He ran it for some years and again it was parked. The second owner has promised to scan and send me a black and white photo I saw of the original owner driving the boat, then named "YANKEE".

This has now become more than a 'project' because I am so drawn in by the history. Boat registration did not start until the early '60's in North Carolina, and I have been able to retain this boats original registration number, "NC-0850-B", a very early number. Actually it was only '850' back then, but new policies require 4 numerics.

In my research to date I have discovered the concept of 'splining'. Using a saw or router to cut a groove between adjacent boards, 1/8"-1/4" wide, and less than full depth. This gives fresh clean edges to epoxy/5200 in slightly tapered splines. Essentiall edge gluing boards together. Like all other procedures, it has it's proponents and critics.

Most everything definitely appears original and authentic. From the now somewhat ragged vinyl upholstery to the hardware and windshield. I am not sure about the bilge vent holes and clamshells.

Apparently not satisfied with the original Johnson 35 hp the original owner ordered a thicker 'factory' Century transom, swapped the transoms out, and changed motors around 1960. Ergo I have a behemoth of a Johnson Vee 4 75 HP!

I will hopefully be taking things a bit slower on this project than the Zip. Shooting for a launch on my 65th birthday. That give me close to 3 1/2 years. Let the games begin!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:55 pm

I had that same 75 hp. But, it had an Evinrude cover.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi Bill, rumour has it those engines were gas hogs, care to confirm?

It would likely be heresy but might consider my Mark58, 45 HP, as a 'alternate', engine,though I might be burned at the stake unless I put a Johnson/Evinrude decal on it :)

For the sake of discussion and clarification adding a couple of shots to illustrate 'splining'. Some say only glue one side and caulk the other side. Who knew?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:33 pm

I was in college. I remember 18+ gal. per day of 24:1 mix. And, that wasn't running that much. Top end it ran pretty good. Getting a skier up was slow.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Small outboards”