Re-Powering Zip Utility

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

gdcarpenter

Re: Re-Powering Zip Utility

Postby gdcarpenter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Jeff,

Not to hijack the thread, but I have seen video of that marathon, refueling and changing drivers while running. Rumor has it Kiekhaefer distracted/beguiled the 'independent' auditors when it was time to change/adjust the points. Amazing nonetheless.

PS: that Old Merc revving away should be "music to your ears"!
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Zipit

Re: Re-Powering Zip Utility

Postby Zipit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:16 pm

Cabron wrote:I have that same merc on my Zip. It`s a nice light motor and gives me 26mph. Plenty fast for me
but it sure is a noisy thing. Does yours make a big racket too? I don`t know much about outboards and never expected it to be so loud and annoying.
I may get a four stroke if It gives me a more pleasant riding experience, but I really don`t know how much of
a difference there is between 2 and 4 strokes in sound quality. Can anyone recommend a quiet 4 stroke? Thanks

My only 4 stroke is on a sailboat and it is pretty quiet. That said, I don't find my 2 strokes to be terribly loud other than the 3HP. My 5HP Elto is silky smooth and surprisingly quiet. I will rate them at WOT 1-10 with 1 being most quiet.

1958 5 HP Elto - 4
1960 3 HP Johnson - 9
1966 50 HP Mercury - 5
1983 25 HP Mercury - 6
2004 9.9 Suzuki (4 Stroke) - 3

I find the Suzuki really quiets down at 2/3 throttle. I personally love the sound and smell of the 2 Strokes.

Return to “Small outboards”