Tunnel Mite Sheer Clamps

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

weasel

Tunnel Mite Sheer Clamps

Postby weasel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:33 pm

I am at the point where I'm putting on the sheer clamps on this tunnel mite. There is a lot of fairing, planing, sanding that has to be done to the sheer clamp to make it flat to the frame and transom members so the plywood lays flat, after it is glue and applied. It looks like you have to remove about 1/3 of the sheer clamp to make it configure. If you look forward from the transom, you can see the angle that has to be removed from the 3/4" x 1" sheer. Can a person cut this on the table saw at these angles first and save a lot of planing once it is attached?

bjfrater

Re: Tunnel Mite Sheer Clamps

Postby bjfrater » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:06 pm

I think it would be really hard to do this. The angle you need fair off changes as the sheer bends around to the bow so I dont think it would be possible to do on a table saw.
I dont know if you have an electric planer but that would be one way to knock off the bulk of the extra before switching to hand plane. Personally I found the electric planer too aggressive and it didnt take too much time with the hand plane.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:01 pm

Yea, that would be tough to pre cut the sheer. My preferred fairing tools are, get it close with hand power planer (be careful, don't go too far with it) and then finish it off with a belt sander with 36 grit paper. Sounds crazy, but I actually enjoy fairing now that I understand what the finished product should look like.
I bought cheap-o Harbor Frieght sander and planer and they've held up fine. Only had to put on new blades after I chewed through a few screw heads with the planer.

weasel

Postby weasel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:47 pm

I figured it might change the angle a bit as it turns around the frames, but wasn't quite sure. So you hit some nails then with the planer then hmmm. I wondered about that too. Did you have to countersink those about 1/2 way through the sheer to get it lower then the plywood angles? Thanks people all the info helps.

Return to “Small outboards”