'57 Century Redux

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

gdcarpenter

'57 Century Redux

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:59 pm

If it's okay I will start this new thread about the "Ressurection" of my new/old 1957 Century Palomino. The "Prequel" was "West System vs 5200 Planked Hulls". This boat is very similar to the ZIP I built: it is 15' long (ZIP 14'-4"), 5'-7" beam (ZIP 5'-9"), hull depth of about 29" (ZIP 27"), and will likely weigh in, ready to ride, around 1,000 lb. (My ZIP 800 lb.)

Today was slow job wise so I got her flipped. I used some 1/4" ply remnant to get the curvature of the deck at the dash frame. Traced this onto a 2X10 and used a circ saw set for 3/4" depth to cut the curve on the 2X10. Used my table saw and multi tool to cut out below the curve so the deck will sit on a 'shoulder' of the 2X10 for support when she's inverted.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

gdcarpenter

Re: '57 Century Redux

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:06 pm

I set up a second chain block using the female part of a the gate hinge shown. I believe they are forged, accept a 3/8" bolt, and have lots off aggressive thread to anchor into my ceiling joists. Between the 2 chain blocks I was able to flip her myself. I then reinstalled the 2X10 to support the front end of the boat, setting the keel as level as I could and setting the 2X10 as level as I could. Hopefully that is enough support that things won't 'twist'.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:17 pm

"Touch Wood" - pun intended - she's looking pretty good for a 58 or so year old 'woody'. The worst that I have noticed so far seems to be the 'depression' in the bottom hull planking on the starboard side.

DO NOT USE ROLLERS ON WOODIES". !!!!! I suspect the rollers and a big bump or many caused this.

If you look at the photos from below it seems to be a fairly straight forward repair. The biggest dip is where a horizontal frame member, with no verticals or side frame, was pushed up. Behind it is the only full frame with significant damage, and a "Mickey Mouse" repair. Once the bottom planks are off I don't fell this will be too difficult to remedy.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Look's like a Great project, GD!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:15 am

1 question did you do any cross bracing to the inside of the boat.?
The other thing you should check is the Keel. take a 8 ft straight edge and lay it on the keel starting at the transom and run it forward.
I keel should be flat almost all the way forwars to where the stem starts. Most Century boat have about 8 ft of bottom that is flat.
Sides flat from the chine to the keel ,and from the transom forward.
jeff

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:04 am

Much obliged for the advise. From the photos you can see the aft hull on the port side runs pretty true, the depression is on the starboard side. The kell has a slight dip about 1/3 forward of the transom. There are no diagonal braces inside.

My plan is to remove all the bottom planking. This will allow me to do the necessary frame repairs. While that is being done and while the bottom planking is still of, that would seem to me to be the time to check and adjust all alignments, then cross each and reapply bottom hull-planks after sanding/cleaning/CPES,ing.

Open to other approaches. Thanks

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Warm day so I made my first deconstruction steps. Removed one bottom plank that needs replacing in any event, but tried hard to keep it intact as a template. Also removed one bottom/side plank just below the splash rail. Transom looks solid. Plank battens and some frame members bad, but that was seen initially.

Sure going to be a PITA removing all bottom the planks. 58 year old slot head brass screws driven into white oak do not surrender without a struggle!

Note the daylight shining through the fiberglass patch on the removed plank!

A journey of a thousand miles starts with small steps:)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:55 pm

In the second picture it look like the first frame from the transom does not go to the chine?
I took off the bottom plank on the transom to ck the transom side on the the bottom frame ,that is where I found rot in the corners.
Do you know what year Palomino it is.
I just got my issue of the Chris Craft Brass Bell and there is a very good right up about Palomino,
If I can get it scand in I will pm you with it. There also is a HI N number stamper in it some where.
I will see If I can find out where it is located for you.
Jeff

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi Jeff, thanks again.

There are intermediary horizontal frame members between the main frames, they are secured to the thick hull plank that's just below the spray rail.

She's a 1957, 15' er.

The hull number on them was on the left side of the transom, near the water line. The original owner ordered a heavier duty transom as a replacement for the original transom, so he could hang a monstrosity of a Johnson off it, and never swapped the transom ID #. I do have the original transom ID/hull number.

I will be removing all the bottom planks.

The transom is solid 8:4 mahogany with 2 knee braces, and so far looks solid as a rock.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:10 am

I poster a question on the Century boat club web site yesterday about your hin number and a reply came back from a man that had a lot of pictures of his 57 that he will share with you . I just need to get his email address.
Jeff

jel1988
Location: Northern Ontario in the summer, coastal SC in the winter

Postby jel1988 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Century boats all rotted at the transom

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:04 pm

Hey jel1988,

Your profile says "Northern Ontario in the summer" - Former Sudbury' boy here in NC., thanks for the encouragement - Eh!

jel1988

Postby jel1988 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Just down the road, Elliot Lake formerly the Uranium Capital of the World. Spend the winter in coastal SC.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Slow going, about a days work to take off 2 hull bottom planks and sand clean. Especially the inside! 58 years of gunk and red bulge paint to sand off, so I can later CPES the inside of the planks before reinstalling them.

Pretty well all the battens will be replaced due to age and rot, White Oak pieces. There were no limbers, cut so water must have pooled everywhere, will add limbers to new framing.

Think I had a forensic deconstruction epiphany. The photo with 2 planks sitting in pace with light behind shows up the fiberglassing well. Me thinks she ran aground!!!!!

From the inside photo it seems someone cut the side frame members to replace the chine, the side frame embers are NOT rotted, by cleanly cut. The comeuppance of this is that the boat did some shape shifting after the poor repair.

It's not easy but it is possible to see how the bottom horizontal frame members pulled away from the thick plank just below the spray rail, to which they were anchored. This widened the beam, and was alikely at least partially responsible for the concavity in the bottom of the hull shown earlier.

The fames on the other side are solid, so at last I will have those as a templates to make mirror image copies. The tricky part will be pulling the hull back into shape!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

jel1988

Postby jel1988 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Sometimes it's easier to build a new boat, than repair an old one!

Return to “Small outboards”