Tunnel Mite Building Question?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

weasel

Tunnel Mite Building Question?

Postby weasel » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:33 pm

I am at the point where I faired the runner keel and the chine log and sheer clamp. It is all looking good and smooth and it all comforms pretty good. It calls for 1/4 inch plywood for the runner planking, that I have ready. It just seems a little hard to bend the very front of the runner planking the last 6-8 inches or so by the bow piece, it takes a pretty good curve at that point. Is it better to start the nailing at the bow or AFT (where the butt joint will be)? Is there a trick, can a person soak this front end of the plywood to make the very front bend easier or will it wreck the glue? I have marine a/b DF plywood. I tried a piece of 1/8" and it bends correctly to the angle a lot easier. I am afraid 1/8" is not strong enough for the runner planking, it calls for 1/4". The 1/8" side planking fits very nicely, and is ready to apply. I want to get moving on the project, but I am stuck at this bending point. Thanks for any help or advice I can get. Steve

chugalug

Re: Tunnel Mite Building Question?

Postby chugalug » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:55 pm

:D When I needed to bend the ply on front of Bo-jest,I spread out large beach towel over ply and applied boiling water to it.had to do both sides as waterproof glue was a barrier for the hot water to soak thru ply, then clamped in position and let dry .then glued and nailed in place using ring nails and screws.or you could use 2 layers of 1/8 and laminate them together.maybe stronger as more plys.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Oarsman

Re: Tunnel Mite Building Question?

Postby Oarsman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:17 pm

I have had some luck using a heat gun and ammonia when bending 4mm Sepele ply for the deck of a Mill Creek 13. The ammonia was a trick from my RC airplane building days. Need gooood ventilation and protective gear and we only used off the shelf strength ammonia. We noticed that the ammonia seemed to have little affect on the grain when dried...might want to try on a test piece. Good Luck!...Lincoln

Return to “Small outboards”