fiberglass zip

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

greg mc

fiberglass zip

Postby greg mc » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Any pointer on cutting fiberglass may on my zip and also what would be the best place to start thank, Greg

greg mc

Re: fiberglass zip

Postby greg mc » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:08 pm

sorry fiberglass mat

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Use cloth not mat. Start in the middle overlapping the keel by about 4". Let it overlap the chine and up the side and transom by about 4" too. Sand the overlaps a little once cured and do the other side of the bottom. Then do the sides. 4 pieces of cloth plus a transom piece. Youll need the edges sanded to a rounded edge for the cloth to flow over the edges nicely. Rounded about like a pencil. Use a tape line along your edges, when the epoxy is half cured you can cut the cloth along the tape line with a razor blade for a nice clean, straight overlap.
Attachments
Fiberglass 003.jpg

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Ditto to what Vupilot said

I used whatever tape was on hand, in this case aluminium duct tape

DO REMOVE TAPE WHILE EPOXY IS STILL 'GREEN' don't ask me how I know this :)

My skeg was already in place since it was one piece with the keel and my transom was fiberglassed before mounting in on the building jig and I did NOT fiberglass my sides

Lay the fiberglass cloth out on the boat a day or 2 before epoxying and hand smooth it out daily ` it will lay out much better

Be absolutely certain to FILL THE WEAVE with epoxy on on the first coat or the cloth can 'ghost' through, don't ask me how i know this too.

Be prepared, I had 12 ounce cups at the ready and pre protioned potions of the elixers ready to be mixed go at a moments notice

May the Force be with you!
Attachments
DSC03043.JPG
DSC03037.JPG
DSC03036.JPG
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:48 pm

PS:

Be prepared for a marathon. You will need several coats of epoxy to totally fill the weave and not have to sand until after all the coats of epoxy are on,without sanding into the glass cloth.

You DO NOT want to have to sand the epoxy between coats, so you must apply each consecutive coatwhile the previous coat is still 'green' - not sticky but will take a fingernail imprint for lack of a better explanation.

I preferred to use a 'squeegee' to work my epoxy down into the weave, but that's what make life interesting, we can do things differently and get similar results :)
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

greg mc

Postby greg mc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks guy and yes I have cloth bought the kit from glen l , and that how I read was four inch over lap, just thought I would make sure since this is my first time and really don't what to make my wife any more mad :lol:

Return to “Small outboards”