Squirt Motor

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

jgiando45

Squirt Motor

Postby jgiando45 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:00 pm

Hello again,

I began building a Squirt 4 years ago as I graduated high school and aim to finish it now that I have graduated college.
The hull is complete and i have glassed the exterior. My next step is to purchase a motor and begin rigging the steering system.
Luckily, an uncle of mine has offered to help fund my purchasing of a new outboard as a graduation present (and to motivate me to finish this boat and get it out of his basement!). I would really appreciate feedback on brand, type and horsepower for a new motor.

I am leaning towards a two stroke but would love to hear what others have to say.
Please let me know and it is great to be back working on the boat again!!

Bill Edmundson

Re: Squirt Motor

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:31 pm

jgiando45

A boat mechanic in Ambergris Cay told me that nobody down there takes good care of their engines. He said hands down, for 2 stroke, Evinrude E-Tec.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jgiando45

Postby jgiando45 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks Bill!
Thats what I've seen s\elsewhere as well. Anyone else like to chime in?

jgiando45

Postby jgiando45 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:44 am

From my research it seems very difficult to buy a new 2 stroke in a low HP for a Squirt. Any suggestions?

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:16 am

Around here to get a small motor with remote steering/throttle controls you basically have to order it that way from the dealer. Converting used motors is pretty expensive. You can also order online from places like www.onlineoutboards.com I would buy what your local dealers service, makes life easier if you ever need service or parts.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:54 am

What's the budget?

jgiando45

Postby jgiando45 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:33 am

Budget is roughly 2500

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:57 pm

Okay, I should have asked more questions to start.
Is your Squirt stretched or standard 10 ft long?
Is electric start a requirement?
Does the motor have to be new?
Are you wanting to go really fast or just get up on plane?
Are you willing to install trim tabs?

jgiando45

Postby jgiando45 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Thank you for the replies BayouBengal!

It is the standard 10'
Electric start is preferable but not a requirement. I'd also appreciate any feedback on this. It does not seem to me that a manual start would be much of a hassle.
The motor does not have to be new but I was offered a new motor as a graduation present so I was thinking it would be best to seize that opportunity.
I am not looking to have a racing boat by any means but would love to get up on plane and cruise at a decent clip. I grew up with a 13 foot Boston Whaler with a 25 hp Merc that was a great cruising boat on plane.
And I am not opposed to trim tabs at all, unless others have any serious warnings against them.

Thank you again and I really appreciate the advice.

jgiando45

Postby jgiando45 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Also, I am rather small, 5'8" and only 165 lb so weight should not be a huge issue.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:29 pm

I'd look at the restored Johnson 18HP on this site - http://smalloutboards.com/antiques.htm. It's about as good a horsepower to weight ratio as you'll find. It's the same Johnson 15hp motor that I ran on my Squirt for a while, the same physical size and weight, it’s just bored out to get more horsepower. It's not electric start, but I didn't find this an issue as the Squirt is so small that's it's quite easy to just turn around pull the cord while kneeling on the seat. I wouldn't worry about the age of the motor, they're mechanically simple, built to last, and easy to fix when necessary.

I ran the 15hp on my boat for about a year before deciding to change out to something with more power. The motor I changed over to was a 1992 Evinrude 25hp. The 15hp looked better, but it took a while to get the boat on plane with two adults (175 pound ave weight). Top speed was about 20mph. By the way, I still have the 1956 Johnson 15hp if you're interested and it would work well with a 10 ft Squirt, problem is, it wouldn’t cost anywhere near $2,500; of course you could pay me that if you really wanted to. With the later model 25hp with electric start, there were weight issues as the motor weighted about 130 pounds with the starter. It was nice in that it would plane out instantly and run around 25mph with two adults, but trim tabs were a necessity because of the added weight. And of course the motor didn't look as cool. I definitely don't recommend such a heavy motor on a ten footer, in hindsight, I don’t even recommend it for my eleven footer that I had it on.

Here's a few comments regarding various factors

Budget - shouldn't be an issue. I think the actual issue is spending all 2500. It'd be great if your Uncle would give you the money and let you keep the change from whatever motor you purchased. You could buy a fantastic used motor for $1,000.

Electric or Manual Start - I'd go with manual. Not having a starter reduces the motor weight by at least 10 pounds and gives you the freedom of not having a battery at all, or allows you to position it somewhere beside close to the transom if you want battery power for a stereo, lights, horn, etc.. Also, I used a small riding lawnmower battery which worked fine on my Squirt and saved about 20 pounds of weight over a full sized battery.

Two cycle or four cycle - I like the two cycle motors, they're lighter and simpler, but you'll probably need to go with a four cycle if you buy new.

Horsepower - 15 to 20 (old motor ratings), 10 to 15 (new motor ratings)

Weight - absolutely no more than 110 pounds, 90 would be much better.

Trim tabs - don't use them if you don't have to. Keep in mind they will slow down your top speed considerably and cause you to burn a lot more fuel.
Last edited by BayouBengal on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:42 pm

One other thing, WHERE'S THE PICTURES?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:56 pm

:lol: Jeff :lol:

I'll bet Melanie would not like that 175# average :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:15 pm

I love every inch and pound of her.

You've got to remember, I'm a fat boy over 200; so I'm the one kicking up the average.

Return to “Small outboards”