Anyone used Fiji Mahogany in Australia?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Cribbsy

Anyone used Fiji Mahogany in Australia?

Postby Cribbsy » Mon May 02, 2016 8:39 am

Hi guys, I'm a new member here about to start a zip build. I'm having trouble locating hoop pine here in Perth but my supplier has plenty of plantation Fiji Mahogany. Anyone else used this for frames etc ? I'ts also h3 treated so was curious if this may effect the epoxy or anything like that.

Thanks, Greg

Ozzieboat

Re: Anyone used Fiji Mahogany in Australia?

Postby Ozzieboat » Thu May 12, 2016 4:27 pm

Greg
Fijian Mahogany is the real deal, Honduran Mahogany "Swietenia Macrophylla", just plantation grown in Fiji. H3 treatment is CCA (Copper, Chromium and Arsenic). As you will be creating a lot of sawdust I would be very wary and look for some untreated stuff.

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri May 13, 2016 1:06 am

I used it on my build

Cribbsy

Postby Cribbsy » Sat May 14, 2016 7:41 am

Hi Guys, thanks for the help. Unfortunately I went right through my timber suppliers stash of Fiji Mahogany and couldn't find a straight piece in the lot and there is no more due in any time soon. I have some nice lighter grade Tas Oak that I was thinking of using for framing and maybe Oregon for stringers etc to keep the weight down. the more I look into suitable framing timbers the more I confuse myself as there are so many options and opinions. I ended up chatting to a local timber boat builder and he thinks the Tas Oak should be ok I was just a bit concerned about extra weight. even nice clean Oregon is proving hard to find.

Cribbsy

Postby Cribbsy » Sat May 14, 2016 7:46 am

What a beautiful boat Jenko!, she looks superb

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:11 am

I was the same when I started my build, unsure what to use in Australia. I ended up using Tas oak. Although a hell of alot dearer, I believe it was the right choice. I only used it on the main frame pieces.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cribbsy

Postby Cribbsy » Tue May 17, 2016 6:57 am

hzchevy wrote:I was the same when I started my build, unsure what to use in Australia. I ended up using Tas oak. Although a hell of alot dearer, I believe it was the right choice. I only used it on the main frame pieces.

Thanks mate, I have gone ahead with the Tas oak as well. Just started cutting the frames last night. Cheers

Return to “Small outboards”