Tubby Tug

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Andy Garrett

Tubby Tug

Postby Andy Garrett » Mon May 30, 2016 3:26 pm

My grandsons are of the appropriate age (as am I) to enjoy a Tubby Tug, so I am considering building one.

Questions:
From the look of most build pictures, premium pine plywood is the norm rather than the exception. Given the performance demands, and with 4 watertight compartments (which I would fill with floatation), I'm thinking that this is a perfectly suitable wood choice for this vessel. Am I insane?

I'm thinking I can build one with a used motor, paint, and trailer for well under a grand if I'm frugal.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

steveh41

Re: Tubby Tug

Postby steveh41 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:30 pm

?
Last edited by steveh41 on Mon May 30, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:43 pm

Andy,

Can't make a call on your sanity (or mine, for that matter :lol: ) but in my experience with the TT, Okoume BS 1088 ply was really great to work with. I'm sure pine or DF marine grade would be OK too, but the boat is small enough that premium material costs won't break the bank. This is a great project for the kids (of all ages) or grandkids and the S&G construction goes together pretty quickly. Two thumbs up for this design!

Regards,

Steve

PS A pic of the TT (this was a pre-forum project for me):
Attachments
Tug%201.JPG
Last edited by steveh41 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 am

Steve,

Yea, I'm hoping to get the boys in on the build. It should be big fun!

I'm leaning toward marine grade pine or equivalent because no one in my area sells okume, Hydrotek, Auquatek, or the like.
When I built my Zip, I had to have the ply delivered by truck from Houston. That would more than double the cost the needed lumber.

I guess I should read the materials list first. I think I actually have a sheet or two of Hydrotek left over from the Zip.
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue May 31, 2016 7:21 am

As I suspected, I have proven myself a moron. :oops: :roll:

I should have read before posting.

The material list is very permissive where lumber and ply are concerned. AA or AB exterior grade is fine, as is common oak.
That will keep things simple and allow for waste if the boys get fancy with the saws.
Andy Garrett

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue May 31, 2016 10:17 am

Andy,

I'd be really interested in watching your frugal Tubby Tug build. I've always kicked around the idea of building one. What do you think you would have cost wise in just the boat itself, minus trailer and motor?
I am also really interested in the number of hours the Tug would take.

Chris

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 31, 2016 11:41 am

Chris,

Would you be interested in our little Tug? I'll include the whistle and oars. I don't remember if you have seen her or not.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue May 31, 2016 2:16 pm

Chris,
I'll keep track of numbers this time.

Whenever people ask me how much I have invested in the Zip, I am dumbstruck. I truly have no idea. I intentionally kept no records (which was a problem when paying taxes on it). I didn't want to spoil the magic of the build with something as distasteful as a budget. :P
I mean..., do I include the price of the tools I purchased and still use? All the supplies I still have like screws, nails, epoxy, parts I didn't install, etc.?

I eventually rounded up about $2500 worth of receipts only to have the inspector look at me and say, "It looks like about $1000 worth of material to me" :wink:

I just tell people, "Between 3K and 6K". I have no idea if that is correct.

When I get started, I'll track this one better. I bet I can do the hull for under $500 with fiberglass sheathing.
Andy Garrett

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue May 31, 2016 3:18 pm

Id expect epoxy to be one of the largest expenses on the Tug.
I always go back and forth of building either a Tug or a Utility next. The Tug is fun and novel but the Utility is so practical and versatile. Yet the Tug is so cheap and easy to build its so tempting.

Hey Bill, Thanks for that offer, I do like the larger size of yours and the removable pilot house. I have seen it at the Gathering you brought it to. Ive even kicked the idea around of a Utility with a removable pilot house. Im still in the deciding stages so not ready to make any moves at the moment.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:45 pm

How much Bill
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:38 am

Don't want to Hi-jack this. But, It's 8' w/4' beam. It's V bottom with 2 skegs and will sit on a flat surface. The trailer is a Harbor Freight foldup, I have an OOOLLLDDD little electric for it. I have lots of option that we could put together.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Small outboards”