Ohio squirt build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Fordf100

Ohio squirt build

Postby Fordf100 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Hello everyone. Im gettimg ready to start my Squirt build.
Here we go first of probably many ????'s
I would like to add 1 foot to the length of the boat. What do i have to do to compensate for this. Im sure something has to be changed but not sure what i have to do to achieve what i want. Any ideas???? I apreciate the help and will keep all of you posted on my progress.
Thanks again.
Steve in ohio

Bill Edmundson

Re: Ohio squirt build

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Ford

You do not change the stem. You just increase the spacing between the frames and transom.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Fordf100

Postby Fordf100 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:54 pm

So just lengthen everything else 1 foot . Leave the stem the same and increase my spacing and im good to go? Sounds easy enough

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:15 pm

Right. With the Squirt, the stem attaches to Frame #2, so leave that alone. You have two spaces to adjust: The space between Frame #2 and Frame #1, and the space between the Transom and Frame #1. To lengthen the boat by a foot, increase each of these spaces by 6 inches.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Fordf100

Postby Fordf100 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Thanks for the info. When i get going ill post my measurements for you to double check me.

Fordf100

Postby Fordf100 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:48 pm

Okay everyone. Im about ready to begin this little adventure into building a squirt. I have the plans and some of the materials. Those of you who have experience,,, where should i start? Most woodworking plans i have used have a starting point, tbis build does not.
So where would you recommend i start? Im open to all suggestions. Please chime in. :(

Fred Østli

Postby Fred Østli » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:12 am

Start with reading some threads here about the other Squirt build. This will give you a good overview of the progress. Building the strongback is ofcourse number one, and there you must count inn the extra foot in lenght. The frames is next, and the plans give you full size pattern. You get feedback all the way on this forum, so go ahead, and provide lots of photos, and I am shure someone will tell you if they see something wrong too :mrgreen:

https://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17106
https://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24836

Good luck!!!

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:17 am

Doing some more reading, studying, planning, etc. is important, but I expect you're just itching to run some saws and do some construction. :D :D :D

Forget the reading for a while and get your hands dirty working on something.

Build the building form and anchor it to cement. I suggest building it off the ground some, otherwise, you'll end up working on your knees quite a bit. Since it's not a permanent part of the boat, you can build it out of anything you want, just make sure that it's strong and level. And once your planking is on, you can then un-anchor it from the cement and put it on casters so you can move the hull around for sanding and painting. Fairing/sanding the hull will create a lot of dust and having on casters will allow you to work outside so you don't end up with dust in every nook and crannie of your shop. So while designing the building form, keep in mind where you'll want to mount the casters once you get to this point.

Excited about following your progress.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:16 pm

I started with a sheet of Marine Ply and started tracing the simplest looking thing I could find. The knee, breasthook, stem. At the end of the day I had some boat parts.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:13 am

As Fred mentioned, I would definitely recommend reading more threads / blogs specific to building the Squirt. My suggestion is Art Atkinson's superb blog: http://artatkinson.blogspot.com Art built an absolutely stunning squirt, and I'm thankful that I had the privilege of riding in it at one of the Gatherings.

I know you're just itching to get your hands dirty and start building something. As Vupilot said, starting with something simple like the stem, breasthook, and transom knee is a good place to start. For my part, I built the frames, stem, etc before building the construction form. I wanted to feel like I'd built actual "boat parts" as soon as possible.

On the construction form, I can't over-emphasize the "level and true in ALL directions" part. Take your time & do it right. You'll regret it if you don't. (Trust me.) I can tell you from experience that you'll regret anything you rush... especially early-on like this. None of this is hard. Just take your time and do it right.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Fordf100

Postby Fordf100 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:09 am

Ill be working in my 10x20 woodshop. Thats why i picked the squirt to build, due to building size. I have a wood floor in there that is perfectly level.leveling up the forms should be okay for me and thats a great idea of making it so i canput wheels on it later so i can get it out of the shop on nice days and work outdoors. Ive been reading all the squirt stuff i can and have a pretty good idea of what to do. I have a wedding to go to on this Saturday but plan on getting something started on Sunday. I will keep you all posted on the progress ang get lots of pics for you all.
Have allready learned a lot from everyones post on here
And want to say thanks to all.

Fordf100

Postby Fordf100 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:51 pm

Okay everyone im off work all week next week . I want to get started. Since i am adding a foot to the Squirt what all do i have to add a foot more length to on my bill of materials? Any advice would be apreciated.
Thanks in advance
Steve

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Nothing really, just a slight amount more plywood; but what little is needed would probably have been leftover scrap if you only built the 10 foot version so probably no need to order extra.

You're a ways off from this part, but I recommend using laminations for the shear and chine. Meaning in regards to materials, you'll probably be able to make them out of scrap strips; so, no additional framing hardwood is necessary.

Fordf100

Postby Fordf100 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 am

So you are saying on the frame i dont have to add length to anything.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:16 am

the frame members are the same size. They are just spaced out more. The shear, chine and keel have to be longer. Like Bayou said, laminate the shear and chine and you should be fine. You may need to get a longer length board for the keel.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Return to “Small outboards”