Will I fit in a squirt or dyno mite?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

lrglnman

Will I fit in a squirt or dyno mite?

Postby lrglnman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:58 pm

[quote][/quote]Well I'm looking at my next boat project. I've got it narrowed down to a squirt or dyno mite but I need info from you guys that have built one of these 2 boats . I'm 6'6" @ 275lbs. Will I fit in one of these boats and will the boat perform well with me in it. Basically instead of me getting a jet ski I'd think one of these boats would suit my likings.

Ronb172

Re: Will I fit in a squirt or dyno mite?

Postby Ronb172 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:35 pm

I am building a Squirt and I'm 6', 185 lbs and I fit but not easily. However I'm 70 yrs old and have rods in my back. But I do fit and once in it's pretty comfy. I did find an 11" steering wheel for it to make entry easier. I have seen guys who raised the frame at the helm so that could help you. Just not sure the Squirt would be a good fit for you. If my boat ever flips I'll probably be screwed as it's not easy to get out of
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:59 pm

He is a pic of me ( 6ft & 200lbs) contorting myself pumping up the primer bulb prior to launch.
There is two ways to ride in a squirt.
1. Knees bent, feet on the floor and ball your body up to fit in the confounds of the cockpit. Or

2. Low rider style by stretching one's legs out straight under the bow and slouching down on the seat. Best to put a life jacket or bumper over frame #2 to soften the ride for the back of legs.

I prefer option two, it keeps my shins from impacting the bottom of the dash in rough water.

Will you fit in a Squirt...at 6'6", I'd say, not in the planned cockpit size. After you flip the hull you can get a feel for where the dash and seat will work for you. Keep in mind, the farther aft you put the seatback the narrower the seat gets.
My 2 cents. Good luck
Attachments
20160522_123034.jpg

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Whenever a builder is contemplating a squirt I always want to offer my Squirt perspective. We have all poured over the 300 boat plans to find the perfect fit for our boating needs, budget and building space, etc...I settled on the Squirt and if I had to do it all over again I would have built a single cockpit Flying Saucer or maybe the stretched version Zip in a single cockpit configuration.
The Squirt is a blast but it is very small. We enjoy our squirt best when we have a second boat to act as home base.
Cost difference would be negligible except for the extra HP.
More of my 2 cents, I'm up to 4 cents so far. Matt

lrglnman

Postby lrglnman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:32 pm

The main reason is I want a personal watercraft. If I did a dyno mite or squirt it would be mainly a 1 person toy. Wife would not be with me due to her water fear. Can the console be moved forward any at all? If too much weight is moved aft won't it porpoise real bad?

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:48 am

The dash could be moved as far forward as frame #2. My concern with really opening up the cockpit is how the boat will look. The length of the bow is important to the beauty of the Squirt. The stretched 11' version is probably best suited to your extra tall size. I attached a pic which I think illustrates how a compact cockpit is essential to maintain the proper lines of the boat.
As to porpoising if loaded too far aft...if hull is flat, smooth and has a sharp edge at the transom I think it will ride true in the water on plane.
Looking forward to pictures from your build.
Matt
Attachments
20150519_231031.jpg

Return to “Small outboards”