Squirt lost its fin

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Hercdrvr

Squirt lost its fin

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:34 pm

Here's a new one, this weekend while pulling the maximum lateral G forces in the Squirt I ripped the fin clean off. Not surprising, I do the equivalent of rodeo barrel racing in it. I was tracking hard in a turn and then it was like I hit a patch of ice and started skidding. A quick interior inspection revealed I wasn't sinking so I jumped in to feel the bottom. Yep, the fin was gone.

I attached the fin with screws, should I bolt the next one on like the transom knee is? No picture of the fin, it's at the bottom of the lake. It's the one Glen L sells. I have a new respect for the load on the fin.

I love these boats
Matt
Attachments
image.jpeg
Yikes, what do I hit?
image.jpeg
4 holes where fin was attached

Moeregaard

Re: Squirt lost its fin

Postby Moeregaard » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Definitely use bolts to secure the fin, as the loads imposed on it are significant. If you've ever tried raising the daggerboard on a small sailboat while under sail, you'll know just how significant. When I installed the skid fin on our Zip, I used six 1/4--20 bolts going to captive nuts inside the boat and we've had no problems. Just make sure you waterproof the bolt holes with epoxy, and bed the fin in some caulking approved for use below the waterline.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

BillW

Postby BillW » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 am

If it had been bolted, is there the possibility that it may have tried to crack the keel? Maybe just using screws, as an intentional weak link
is better. Or, maybe that's not true at all. Find out how they do it with race boats.

Thanks for your reply to my question about rub rails. I was wondering if anybody had that opinion.
Bill

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:11 am

BillW--yes, we usually tell folks to use screws on the fins so that you don't do more damage to the boat. That would be in the case of hitting something. But in the case of Hercdrvr and his "g-forces", the "normal rules" don't apply :shock:

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Is there no skeg in the squirt design? Would think that would provide more stability than a fin.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 am

Yes, the skeg would be suitable for nice cruising and comfortable turns. I'm going more for the "fling the passenger out" tight turns. If you've ever driven a Master Craft, you know what I mean. Here's a picture of the bottom of the ski boat.
Attachments
image.png

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:53 am

Sounds like fun, for the driver!

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:34 am

New fin installed, I stopped short of bolting it through the keel. Used a larger screws and 6 instead of 4 screws to secure it. If this one comes off I should probably take a look a my driving techniques.
Taking Squirt to lake Dillon In Colorado next week, curious to see how a 9,000 ft lake elevation effects engine performance. Anyone know of a turbo or a supercharger kit for a 20 hp Yamaha, just kidding of course.
Matt
Attachments
image.jpeg

BillW

Postby BillW » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:44 am

Horsepower loss is about 3 and 1/2 per-cent, per thousand feet, if standard temp, if I recall correctly.
But, standard air at 9,000 is about freezing, so probably a lot warmer daytime; even more hp loss.

You might need your density altitude chart, but the Squirt will still have more than it's recommended 10 hp.

Moeregaard

Postby Moeregaard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:52 am

Gayle Brantuk wrote:BillW--yes, we usually tell folks to use screws on the fins so that you don't do more damage to the boat. That would be in the case of hitting something. But in the case of Hercdrvr and his "g-forces", the "normal rules" don't apply :shock:

I hadn't even considered the damage that would occur if I clobbered something on the water. I guess years of playing with a daggerboard-equipped sailboat has me continually watching the water. I made my own skid fin from 1/4" aluminum plate welded to a base plate of like material (have to do things the hard way--always...), and gave the leading edge a lot of sweep, so I hope it would just ride up and over anything I hit. I don't drive the boat hard in turns, so I probably could have just used screws.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

BillW

Postby BillW » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:57 am

Just as I submitted my comment about horsepower loss, I realized I had left off the most important part. Story of my life.

Take along a propeller or two, of one size, or even two sizes, less pitch. That will salvage your vacation.

At 9000, the hp loss will be so great that the motor cannot come even close to turning the prop used at near sea level,
if that's where you are now.

We live at sea level, but run a boat at 2400 foot lake altitude, and 2 inches less pitch helps a lot.

Bill

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 pm

I was thinking the same thing about pitch. Running an 11 pitch now, I'll put on the 10 pitch for high altitude operations. Not going to buy another prop so whatever the 10 can do we'll have to live with.

Return to “Small outboards”