Thinking of building TNT

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Jarheado

Thinking of building TNT

Postby Jarheado » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Hello! I am new to this forum, and boat building, but not outboards. And I stumbled upon some TNT plans and am thinking of building one. I got a30hp evinrude kicking around on a Jon boat at the house. It's got electric start, hand throttle, steering wheel,etc... I'm 17 years old, and i resurrected the evinrude and now thinking of putting it on a TNT. Here's my questions. How hard is it too build? I work in a wood shop. Build cabinet stuff. I can order about any wood here. Access to 20in. planer, wide belt sander, anything I would need. I work with a buddy who is a year older. How much would this cost us without the motor, and all the steering stuff....

DrBryanJ

Re: Thinking of building TNT

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Jarheado, I can't answer your question about cost, but if you have some cabinet making experience, you are way ahead of many of us here on the forum. I have very little experience with wood working, but I think I'm doing okay with my build. Also, with access to the tools you mention it should make it easier and faster to build. I use mostly hand tools. :oops:
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Do it! You have the tools available. Anybody can do it, you just have to want to and be willing to read what you don't know. Buy the boatbuilding with plywood book from this site, it's money well spent.
I have no idea what it exactly would cost, just buy what you can as you can afford it. 500$ worth of lumber, epoxy, and screws will get you off to a great start and keep you busy a good while.

Jarheado

Postby Jarheado » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks for the replies! Also this outboard has a long shaft. I've read that guys have modified their transoms acomodate such. Any suggestions there?

Moeregaard

Postby Moeregaard » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:20 am

All good suggestions here. Just dive in and do it. The trick to getting through any major project, is to break it down in to manageable pieces and then do at least one task every single day--even if it's just a ten-minute job before heading off to work or school. Also, make a kit by getting all of the bits made up before doing any assembly. You'll be amazed at how quickly things come together. Most, if not all, of Glen's small outboards were designed to use motors with a 15" shaft length, so if your motor is a long-shaft (20"), you will have to raise the transom so that the motor's cavitation plate is even with or slightly above, the boat's bottom. You should also extend the transom knee by a similar amount. Hope this helps!

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Jarheado

Postby Jarheado » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:24 am

So doing a lil math in my head... Raising the transom to accommodate a 20 inches, will probably be at least a5 inch raise, which will mean more leverage the boat. Have any of yall put a long shaft on? If so, any ideas on how to beef up the transom to handle additional leverage?

Jarheado

Postby Jarheado » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:52 pm

Or should I build the zip? My motor is a long shafted 30 HP. Some opinions?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:36 pm

The Zip is easily modified for the long shaft motors.
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jarheado

Postby Jarheado » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Which would be a better (easier) beginner boat to start?
:twisted:

Return to “Small outboards”