Sun shade on a squirt?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

AlexWS

Sun shade on a squirt?

Postby AlexWS » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:26 pm

My wife and I are excited to start a project and we really like the squirt, the only thing that's a must for us is some form of shade from the sun. I've tried searching around but I don't see anyone putting any sort of shade on the squirt, some people mentioned Taylor Made but it looks like those are wider than the entire squirt.

So, shade is a must and of course we want it to look good, any ideas?

Hercdrvr

Re: Sun shade on a squirt?

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:42 pm

Think of the Squirt as a floating MG Miget car. If it had Bimini top I can't see how you would get in the boat. It would be like climbing in the window of a little clown car.
I guess if you rigged it up like a folding convertible top it would work after you climbed in.
Good luck and submit photos
Matt

AlexWS

Postby AlexWS » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Hercdrvr wrote:Think of the Squirt as a floating MG Miget car. If it had Bimini top I can't see how you would get in the boat. It would be like climbing in the window of a little clown car.
I guess if you rigged it up like a folding convertible top it would work after you climbed in.
Good luck and submit photos
Matt

Yea, I was thinking a folding top for when parked or idling.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:40 pm

I don't see why you couldn't put a Bimini top on a squirt. They are made in a variety of sizes. Many places sell them.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:56 pm

It's going to be difficult because of the narrow beam. I think it will also look funny because the boat sits so low to the water (it's a very shallow hull) and the bimini will need to be much higher.

I'd consider a Zip, and you can build it as a two-seater to make it more sporty looking like the Squirt.

galamb

Postby galamb » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:10 pm

I think it's "doable".

I made a sun top for my 14 foot aluminum. Ok, it has a 60" beam which is not as narrow as the 52" on the squirt, but not that much wider.

I picked up a pattern from Sailrite (cost a couple of bucks), got a couple yards of Top Gun material (similar to Sumbrella, Bow Tuff etc), I think about 20 feet of 3/4" aluminum tube from a local metal supplier and a bunch of (fittings) from West Marine.

I made a two bow folding top - made the bows high enough that I could stand up in the boat and the whole thing folds back sitting just in front of the outboard to allow access to the boat for boarding etc, or keep it out of the way when not in use. Here's a couple pic's - one with it up, the second is a little tough to see, but it's folded down - can just make out the tubing along the gunwale.

Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

AlexWS

Postby AlexWS » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:17 pm

BayouBengal wrote:It's going to be difficult because of the narrow beam. I think it will also look funny because the boat sits so low to the water (it's a very shallow hull) and the bimini will need to be much higher.

I'd consider a Zip, and you can build it as a two-seater to make it more sporty looking like the Squirt.

I agree it will look funny if it's too tall, that's why I was hoping someone knew of some sort of sleek and shorter one. I'm picturing something short and easy to put up and down because you definitely won't be able to stand while it's up. I realize this may not exist but I figured I'd try.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:54 am

Yes, I took a friend for a ride who's somewhat large. At the dock a comment was made that it was funny watching us ride in the boat as it was kind of like seeing a cartoon caricature in actual life where the person's face and upper body is large relative to everything else around them. I think the bimini would accentuate that effect.

BillW

Postby BillW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:23 am

There was a James Bond movie where the bad guy was about 8 feet tall and he drove a big Lincoln
with his head and shoulders sticking up thru the sun roof.

I always think about that when driving the Squirt.

Ronb172

Postby Ronb172 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:26 pm

Couldn't you build one out of, say 1/2" elect conduit? You can buy the fittings and bend the tubing to any shape you want. I've never done it, but I think I'd try. I may give it a go on our Squirt next spring when we get back form MX.
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

Return to “Small outboards”