Michigan Squirt Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

JimmY

What to do with all your scraps

Postby JimmY » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:25 pm

I've got my shop back in shape, and with all this free time on my hands I thought I'd make something for the boat. While at the ACBS I saw guy selling cedar strip canoes and he also made his own paddles. He offers a class, but after looking them over it didn't seem like it was rocket science. I looked at a lot of different designs online and most needed a lot of shaping by hand. What I came up with here is pretty straight forward to build and doesn't require a lot of shaping.

I started with a 3/16" thick blank of the paddle shape. Mine is 36" long, 6 1/2" wide, the blade is 12" long, and the handle is 1 1/4" wide. The length will fit between frame 1 and 2 on my Squirt and I've made some holders that will get epoxied in on the side under the covering boards. The 1 1/4" diameter on the handle appears to be pretty standard. I laminated the core from some mahogany left over from my deck and hard maple. The blade shape was just free handed.

20171001_214835.jpg

Next, the blade and few inches up the handle were glassed both sides.

20171002_184222.jpg

Next I cut two 1/2" x 1 1/4" handles, and rounded the edges with a 1/2" round over bit in my router. I tapered the one end to blend into the paddle blade. These handles were epoxied to each side of the core. The round over bit got the handle shape close, but a few minutes "shoe shine" with an 80 grit sanding belt made it round. The handle end was more mahogany rough cut to shape on the band saw. I chose this shape since I though it might come in handy hooking the dock.

20171008_184719.jpg

A few coats of spar varnish, and it is ready for service. Overall it took about a week working no more than an hour a night.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BayouBengal

Re: Michigan Squirt Build

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:23 am

As always, top-notch work, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 am

Very nice!

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Worth saving?

20171114_190823.jpg

20171114_190829.jpg
-Jim

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Yes, I would think so. Other than the carbon buildup shown in the pictures, are there any other issues with the engine. Is that your 18HP that you've had on your Squirt?

BTW, seafoam additive to your fuel does a pretty good job of cleaning up carbon if the engine was running. Not sure how good it would work if you put it on a non running engine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdT4DPFXIkM

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm communicating with Travis, who is local, about this outboard. In general, it is in decent shape for it's age. My big concern is that I can wiggle the positions a bit, and there is some play in the tie rods/crank shaft. I've got all the manuals, but not too sure if I can do a full rebuild.
-Jim

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am

Rup-roh :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You've exceeded my very limited combustible gas engine knowledge.

micahjl

Postby micahjl » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Just finished reading this build, what a ride. My question for ya'll is when extending the squirt to 11' (or near) were you still able to use 12' lumber? I'd imagine the shears would be longer but it would be nice to know before dumping a bit extra on longer lengths.

I'd be pleased for mine to turn out half as nice as yours... excellent craftsmanship,

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Micahjl,

For the side sheeting, I was able to scarf together 12' long pieces and they fit fine. For the sheers and chines, while 12' will probably fit it is nice to have some extra to hang on to when bending and trimming them. If you are buying rough cut lumber, those type of lumber yards do not really charge for extra long boards. If you're paying a premium to get 14' lumber, then you can get away with shorter boards, but the lumber cost is a drop in the bucket to the overall cost of the boat.
-Jim

JimmY

Outboard Rebuild

Postby JimmY » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi All,

I'm a new member of the AOMCI (antique Outboard Motor Club) and I'm learning a lot about these old motors. Here is the current state of my Johnson...

20171209_165900.jpg

20171130_195432.jpg

While tearing it down, I found a scored piston and a pitted crankshaft. Luckily, parts for these motors are readily available (new and used), so this thing should run pretty good when it is back together. Along the way I've also made a few new friends. The guys on the AOMCI site are almost as nice as the people here.

I have managed to rebuild the carburetor with all new seals and a float...

20171209_152526.jpg

Next up will be to bore out the cylinder block for the new oversize pistons. Then it will be fun trying to remember where all the screws go.
-Jim

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Jimmy:
Thanks for posting about your work rebuilding your outboard. I have a real soft spot for 1957 Johnson and Evinrude outboards, and it's great to see someone like yourself investing in bringing one back to tip top shape. I look forward to reading future details about how the work progresses.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

DSR

Postby DSR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:25 am

Hi Jim,

Very cool! I had no idea that parts were even still available for the old outboards.

My father has an identical pair of old original 'rudes in the sea-foam green, i think they're 9.9s. I'll have to dig them out of his basement and take a look at them.

That 18 looks perfect on your Squirt and I'm glad it's saveable.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!! :D
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Molly80

Postby Molly80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi!
My name is Håkan and i wonder when you started to planking the hull did you gloe the sheets first and then drill the holes fore the skrews? excuse my english :)

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi Håkan,

The sheeting was all dry fitted without glue. I used clamps to hold the sheeting in place and worked from middle of the boat to the bow and stern drilling holes and screwing it in place. Then remove all the screws and apply the epoxy, and re-install all the screws in the same order that were drilled.

-Jim
-Jim

Molly80

Postby Molly80 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 am

Thanks!

Return to “Small outboards”