Michigan Squirt Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

JimmY

Re: Michigan Squirt Build

Post by JimmY » Sun May 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Not sure if I'll be able to make it to G12, but I really want one of those T-shirts!

I finished putting my outboard back together this week, and today I was able to fire it up. The carburetor still needs adjusting, but that will have to happen out on the water. It starts with a short crank of the starter, idles nicely, and shifts gears fine. So, I guess I got everything back together in the right order.

I just need to apply the new decals...
20180516_210351.jpg
20180516_210358.jpg
Here is a link to a video of it running... https://youtu.be/mWeNuFLdOas

I hope to drop the Squirt in the lake next weekend, and I was able to buy a new/used jet ski lift to store it. I ordered a bunch of materials from Sailrite, and will start on a set of seat cushions shortly.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun May 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Great job on the motor!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun May 27, 2018 7:37 am

I finished up a few odds a ends this week, and hauled my Squirt over to the lake with a full tank of gas. The rebuilt Johnson fired right up and I tooled around Little Ore to let it warm up start breaking it in. I made a few adjustments to the low end carburetor setting, and it is purring nicely. I motored out the channel and throttled up. It is like a new motor. The Squirt got on step much quicker, and after a few adjustments to the high end, it was running like a champ.

I did several laps of the lake, varying the speed and not pushing it too hard. The boat cruises at a lower throttle settling. I did do a couple of WOT runs and I picked up 3mph from last year. So my top speed is 25mph. This is plenty fast in this size boat, I don't know how the jet ski Squirts do it :shock:

The lift I bought has nice wide bunks, and didn't need any adjustment. While I was checking the fit on the lift, a couple of guys pulled up in a Chris Craft kit boat to take a closer look. They told me it was a 1950's kit that wasn't built until 2006. I didn't know Chris Craft made kits. In any case there are two woodies on Ore Lake, and we hope to make a run up the river to the local watering hole some time.
-Jim

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Sun May 27, 2018 8:03 am

Great Work!

Yes, Chris Craft sold kit boats. A while back someone posted a link here to their promotional video from the 1950's and it was really neat. Unfortunately, it's been taken down from YouTube and I can't find it anywhere. It showed a family making a decision to mail order the kit and then the father and son, always referred to as "Junior", building the boat. Here's the link - viewtopic.php?t=15321.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun May 27, 2018 8:13 am

Jim

Great news! I love it when a plan comes together.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sun May 27, 2018 10:18 am

Jim, do you have new photos with the decals attached?
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun May 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Here is a couple photos of the completed motor. I'll get a few more out in the sunshine shortly.
Attachments
20180524_214003.jpg
20180524_214003.jpg
-Jim

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Fantastic! I bet you're the talk of Ore Lake.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun May 27, 2018 4:32 pm

That motor looks really nice. Sounds like you have it running like a top!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be » Sun May 27, 2018 5:03 pm

Jim, she looks awesome! It's kind of like stepping back in time, seeing a '57 Johnson looking the way it did when it was brand new. Thanks for keeping us updated on how your engine rebuild has gone.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun May 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Very neat Jimmy. Those old engines have a lot of character and fit the designs we're building to a T. You've done a fine job there. It would be fun to be in the know and listen to all the comments you're going to get!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 am

I got a couple of hours on the Squirt over Memorial Day weekend. It was a scorcher here in Michigan, and when not on the lake I was able to finish up the bottom seat cushion.

I order all of the materials from Sailrite including 2" foam, piping, thread, basting tape, Velcro, and batting . I went with the Morbern Seabrook marine vinyl in Sea White and American Beauty.

I studied several of Sailrite's online videos and sewing guides and I came up with a simple design and used 1/2" seams all around. This made measuring and sewing pretty straight forward. The cushion is basically one piece sewn together and a pair of end pieces with piping. The bottom pieces of the cushion just overlap and a few strips of Velcro hold it together. I'm using my wife's sewing machine, and with a leather needle it goes through multiple layers of vinyl. It is not too happy doing this, but appears to be up to the task.

Here is the main panel of the cushion before sewing on the end pieces. I think the hardest part was sewing the piping on the end pieces since it was a small piece with sharp corners. The basting tape really helps hold it all together. You end up sewing through the piping twice, one to sew it to the end piece, and the second time to sew it to the main panel. On thing I'll recommend is for the first pass you don't sew right up to the cord in the piping. This keep this seam from showing in the final cover if the final pass is not right up to the cord.
20180528_093333.jpg
Completed cover...
20180528_113706.jpg
All stuffed...
20180528_120103.jpg
This took 3 or 4 nights.

I started work on the back cushion, and it will have a similar look with a "V" design.
-Jim

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Tue May 29, 2018 9:59 am

Just like all of your work, the cushions are outstanding :D

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:27 am

I finished up the back cushion today, it was a little more difficult than the rectangular bottom, but it came out ok. Now I need to figure out a way to secure them to the seat. I've got plenty of extra material, so maybe a small cushion or two for under my feet. :D
20180603_130202.jpg
Yesterday, I spent some time building a section of dock so I can keep my feet dry getting in and out of the boat. My friend on the lake is very generous with the slip space. I'm making him a new transom support for his row boat and a mahogany cup holder trim for his dad's speed boat. I've got the extra materials laying around, so it is nice to put them to good use and earn my keep.
20180603_131023.jpg
Rainy and cool today, so no boating. :(
-Jim

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:30 am

Nice work on the cushions Jimmy. I think that doing these yourself is the right way to go. Yes, it's out of most of our comfort zones, but so was building a boat. When you think about how much it would cost to have someone do this, it's a real bargain to do it yourself. And when the inevitable happens and they have to be replaced or repaired, you'll be able to do it again. Another real nice thing about this is that you can make custom items. I have some in mind for my Vera Cruise and I know doing them myself will be easier and less expensive than trying to explain what I want to a professional.

Those Sailrite videos make it real clear what has to be done and I intend on supporting them with my business when the time comes.

Really nice work Jimmy. Beautiful pattern and selection of colors.

BTW, rainy and cool would be welcome down here right now. .
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Small outboards”