Project JetSquirt!

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Benj269

Project JetSquirt!

Postby Benj269 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:55 am

Hello everyone, my name is Benjamin and I have just begun the process of building the Squirt. This is my first boat, to either build or own. I've been on a handful of boats and driven maybe two for short distances, so some of my education will be in just general boating knowledge as I progress.

I've been following this forum for a few years and this summer I was offered a jet ski with a broken hull for free, so thought it was a perfect opportunity, hence "JetSquirt".

I ordered the plans a few weeks ago and have been studying them and gathering materials in the mean time. I live in SW Michigan and L&L Johnson Lumber (mentioned on this forum many times) is about an hour from me.

I bought 65bf of 4/4 FAS African Mahog (Ribbon) and 35bf of 4/4 S&B Meranti. I also picked up 3 sheets of 1/4" and 1 sheet of 3/4".

My first impressions of the plans are that they appear to be very well done, however, if there were one thing I would change would be to make it a two-page drawing so that it's not one huge sheet that came folded up and not rolled in a tube. Most builders probably wouldn't care about that, but I scanned them so I could manipulate parts digitally and also cut some select pieces out on my (homemade) CNC router. I have them in CAD format now so I'm a lot less bothered by large paper, wrinkles, etc.

This is what it looks like so far.
Attachments
Photo Sep 02, 4 19 09 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 02, 4 18 02 PM.jpg

DSR

Re: Project JetSquirt!

Postby DSR » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi Benjamin,
It's great to see another Michigander here, and another jet conversion to boot. Very nice! :D

Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:38 am

Welcome a board! Heck, we might have to have Michigan Gathering!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:09 am

Thank you for welcoming me. I'm quite confident this project will turn out great. I have decent woodworking skills, combined with the knowledge and advice of the forum members here (and the wooden boat forum), it will be difficult (but not impossible) to fail.

So far I'm very pleased with everything. I spent the time to convert the plans to digital and CNC'd everything out because I wanted everything to be as close to perfect as possible. I was nearing the end yesterday and I was tired. I had the stems and breasthook done so I tried a test fit, and it couldn't have been any better. It was a nice way to end the day. I don't believe I've ever worked with mahogany before, but I'm now a believer. It milled up very well and I was anticipating a heavier wood since most consider it a hard wood. I received a couple of pieces of raw stock that if I were building furniture, I would be upset because of grain curve. I took it as an advantage here and used them for deck beams, etc.

Assembling the frames - Did you epoxy, gusset, drill and screw all at once, or epoxy, gusset, cure, then drill and screw? Doing it all at once seems like it could be frustrating.

I've seen the advice to seal parts as you go, versus assemble everything and then seal. I like that idea because I can get in all the nooks and crannies (end grain on butt joints) before they become difficult or impossible to get at. So do people seal, assemble, fair, then go back and touch up the sealing before laying down ply? That's my tentative plan.

I've cut them out anyway, but am I correct in assuming I don't need the transom knees for jet ski power? I'm thinking the motor board and knees aren't necessary because there's no outboard to mount and the thrust is no longer against the transom.

If you were going out to the lake for the day and had a completely empty boat, what would you put in it for safety and such? Life jackets, fire extinguisher, fuel, and a map or GPS, a small tool kit, first aid kit, come to mind, but what do you keep for tying up, those "flip over the side" bumpers, anchor, tow rope, paddles, etc.

I think that's exhausted my question supply for now.

Benjamin

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:20 am

Another one: when spreading thickened epoxy, does anyone use something like a notched trowel so it spreads in a fairly consistent manner, or just slather a lot on and clean up the squeeze out?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:28 pm

I use those 1/2" glue brushes and try to get it as even as possible. If you are using the small wooden mixing sticks, those work pretty good for spreading out thickened epoxy as well.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Oh, your state should have a list of safety items that are required to be on board.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:44 pm

When I am joining to pieces edge to edge, I just use a small chip brush. WHen I was putting the mahogany veneer on the sides, I used a notched trowel so I would get an ever thickness and better adhesion.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:51 pm

OK, I will try the small brushes. Do you recall the size notch of the trowel you used for big areas? I think they make square and vee notch as well.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:04 pm

It was a vee notch. I think 1/8 inch deep.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Another update. I posted this in Jimmy's thread as a reply, but want to add it here for continuity.

For the building form I pawed through the stack of 2x4's at Lowes and found 6 of the straightest grain pieces I could find. You actually need the bottom members to be longer than 8 feet, but 10 and 12 footers are all propellers or dog legs at Lowes, so I butted two shorter pieces together. I probably should have gone to an actual lumberyard for 2x4's and paid a little more for some quality. 1x6's for the vertical pieces (and butt joint reinforcement), screwed together with 2" deck screws. I didn't use glue because when this is all done I want to be able to take it apart and not tear it apart. Also, I have built a 1/4 scale model of a strip canoe and some of the building form proved to be in the way but I couldn't move the pieces because they were glued and screwed.

I decided to go with 36 inches tall instead of the 24 shown on the plan because it seemed like it would be a more comfortable working height when standing. I still need to add the stem support but want to wait until I have it laminated and then fit it all up at once.

My bright idea was to used some extra OSB that I had as drip catcher and something softer than concrete if I were to drop a chisel or something. Unfortunately it isn't playing nice and laying flat for me, so I have added some heavy objects to try and help flatten it out. I hot glued some 1/4 inch ply scraps to keep everything together, but they popped off after a few days. I scrounged some leg levelers out of the trash heap at work and added those to the bottom members (6 total) so that I can level things out on an uneven floor. Initially I was going to put the feet on the OSB, but since it's not laying flat I will hole saw 6 spots so the levelers poke through and rest on the concrete. I thought about just laying down plastic, but that tends to get slippery and just wrinkles up, moves around, and is generally annoying. Stay tuned for the OSB annoyance level, it could be just as bad.

Even though it's fiddly and frustrating, it is absolutely worth the time and effort now to make sure everything is as plumb/level/square as you can get it now because everything builds upon it.

I'm at 20 hours right now. I have all of the frames and ply parts cut out, just not pictured.

Photo Sep 28, 6 30 53 PM (1).jpg

Photo Sep 28, 6 30 31 PM.jpg

Benjamin

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:25 pm

It's time for another update. This weekend saw progress on the transom, cutting all of the angles on the pockets, pre-drilling nail holes, taping off the glue area, mixing and spreading epoxy, clamping everything up, and then deciding my dog could squat and make something that looked better, so I basically trashed it. Too many minor mistakes added up to me not being satisfied, so I cut all of the parts out again from my remaining stock and on Sunday I started over. I have everything cut out and I am going to encapsulate all parts before assembling this time. I used an 1/8" notched trowel to spread thickened epoxy on the parts and I soon found out that my "angle of attack" was not at all right. It was like a fat kid sat on a tube of toothpaste, epoxy squirted from every crack! Wayyyyyy too much.

I did start the encapsulating process but soon ran out of paint standy uppy things, so I didn't even get half of the parts done, but it's progress.
Photo Oct 01, 9 35 07 AM.jpg
The angle of the dangle. This was the first one and you can see the end is rounded a bit, so I started using a ply backer.

Photo Oct 01, 9 52 36 AM.jpg
Measured and marked for 12 degrees, then cut the ends with a saw.

Photo Oct 01, 9 55 09 AM.jpg
Roughed out with a rasp and then cleaned up with a body file. The plywood backer kept me from splintering out the back side or cutting too deep.

That's all for now.

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:29 pm

I guess I can't edit the previous post and add photos.

Photo Oct 02, 6 03 52 PM.jpg
The mahogany really starts to look good with a coat of epoxy.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Benj269 wrote: ... soon ran out of paint standy uppy things...

Now THERE is a technical term for everyone!! :lol: And I bet you were wondering if people actually read your posts.

The project is looking good! I will enjoy very much following along as you build this.

When I was epoxy coating my project, I scrounged some card board boxes that had been wrapping some washing machines and driers. I cut them all open and laid them flat. Then I used duct tape to tape the edges to the garage floor. But I did all this after the building form was standing and so, I just did a lot of overlapping until I had the floor protected. It worked fine and lasted for many months. Anytime I got a tear or rip, I just duct taped another piece of cardboard over it and kept going.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:41 am

All of the frames have been mounted to the building form. I spent a lot of time checking and double checking alignment/square, but it will be well worth the effort. Clamps were enough to hold things in place and drilling holes through the frames was not necessary.
Photo Oct 11, 9 13 30 PM.jpg

It's actually starting to look like something now. After struggling for a bit with solid chines, I decided to laminate. 3 layers for the chines and 4 layers for the sheers. This photo shows one layer of each after gluing and screwing. I will trim the battens to length when I put the bottom ply on.
Photo Oct 23, 12 39 17 PM.jpg

Return to “Small outboards”