Project JetSquirt!

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

JimmY

Re: Project JetSquirt!

Postby JimmY » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:22 am

Looking nice, Ben.

Are you going to screw each laminations or just one through all the layers? Also, did you measure the sheer and chine between frame 2 and the breasthook? I've read in a few places that you can get some variation in this area which will really screw up your deck.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:25 am

i plan to screw through the first layer and then glue all the rest. Then I'll fair everything and add one more screw to all joints.

No measurements. Are you talking about how bowed out the sheer and chine are between 2 and the stem, or the distance between where each meet the stem?

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:17 pm

How bowed out.
-Jim

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm just going to have to see how that plays out. I might have to add some material to the outside of the chines in that area.

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:23 pm

I guess I haven't posted an update in a while. I spend any free time I have working on projects and not so much documenting them. I ran out of epoxy today and so I'm on hold for a bit until I put together an order this week.

Photo Oct 29, 7 56 27 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 29, 7 56 51 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 29, 7 58 53 PM.jpg

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:27 pm

I screwed into the frames on the sides, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do about that. I don't it's really a problem, but I may try to add some reinforcement in those areas.

Photo Nov 06, 11 14 39 AM.jpg

Photo Nov 12, 6 48 06 PM.jpg

Photo Nov 12, 6 43 35 PM.jpg

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi Ben,

Looking great! Won't be long and you'll be flipping it.

It looks like you had the same problem I'm looking at with the center battens. Mine are really stiff and I don't think I can bend them down enough. It looks like you cut and faired yours pretty close to frame 2.

Any advise on sheeting the sides?

Later,
-Jim

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi Jimmy
Initially I left the battens long but then ended up cutting them back close to F2. Once I laid ply on them I realized there was no way.

Scarfing plywood. I made a large router base and used a 1.5" cutter I have. I should have gone with a new one, but it did a decent job. i didn't use clamps, just staples until the epoxy cured.

Panel size. There probably is a way to lay things out so that they all fit on the sheets of 1/4", but I ran into problems. The tallest dimension on the side is a little less than 16", but a 16" tall panel doesn't fit. It needs to be 18" tall, therefore you can't get all the sides out of one sheet. I don't think stretching the length has anything to do with it.

Be prepared for each one to go on and off a few times. I used a few "locator" screws and lots of hand clamps.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:41 am

Hi Ben,

That's the information I was looking for. It is hard estimate the height of the side panels, since they curve so much from front to back. So, you just scarfed together two 18" x ~12' panels for the sides and then trimmed to fit?

I've got a relatively new 3/4" bit for scarfing, so it shouldn't take too long to make the joints. I have my old workbench top, and I just plan on adding some 12:1 ramps on the sides for a jig.

Thanks,
-Jim

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Yes, two 18" x boat length + a foot for the sides and two 24" x boat length + a foot for the bottom.

You can actually get away with adding 6 inches to the boat length, but I like the extra margin of error and it gives a little more leverage when bending in the bow area as it meets the stem.

Also, I scarfed, glued up, then cut to length. That way if I hacked up the scarfing or glue up, there would be enough material left to save the panels. I cut all excess length off one end and that end goes at the transom so there isn't a lot of twisting at the scarf location.

DSR

Postby DSR » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:56 pm

Hi Ben,

Your Squirt is coming along very nicely! Looks great!
I've been meaning to ask what you have for a jet ski powertrain and how you are installing it in the hull?
I also had seen that you mentioned that you were located in SW Michigan and I was curious as to where abouts if you don't mind me asking? I'm In Allegan so I assume you're not far.

Thanks
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Benj269

Postby Benj269 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:50 am

Funny you should ask that. On Sunday I went to pick up the ski that I thought I was going to use but upon inspection I found a broken block, so I'm back to looking for something. Since I don't have anything yet, I haven't really planned on how I'm cutting the hull or how I'm going to mount the motor. One of the reasons for stretching the hull was to make sure I had plenty of room between the transom and F1 to fit whatever motor and pump I end up going with. I'll figure out and cut out the areas for the intake, nozzle, etc before flipping and then figure out motor, fuel tank, oil tank, battery, etc once she's right side up.

I'm in Kalamazoo.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:29 am

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the additional planking information, it saves me a little head scratching.
-Jim

DSR

Postby DSR » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:57 am

Sorry to hear that Ben. I have run across a ton of used and wrecked skis while I was searching for my R12X, if you have an idea of what kind of ski you're looking for or what kind of space you have for the powertrain, let me know. I'd be glad to help look for one (especially since you're so close) :D

Thanks
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Return to “Small outboards”