Helping 7 year old grandson build "Squirt" in Houston

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

jplatou

Helping 7 year old grandson build "Squirt" in Houston

Postby jplatou » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:36 am

I am helping my 7 year old grandson, Owen, start his Squirt this week! He is most excited! Our goal is to have the at least some of the frame built to display at the Houston Boat Show in January 2017 in The Antique Outboard and ACBS display. His 9 year old brother Jack's completed 8' Minimost will also be on display. This is my fifth boat building project with my grandkids so far, I have 5 more that are not old enough yet. I try to start the girls out at 5 and boys at 7!

Engine will be a 1984 6hp Evinrude, to start, should run about 17mph with him aboard. Will limit speed to just planning to start. Will shadow him with another boat till he gets use to it.

The first boat I built with the grandkids was a Minimost I built with my granddaughter in 2005 when she was 5 years old. Here are the pictures http://www.nwsca.com/minimost/john_pics2/

I will be there both weekend at my Kid Build A boat both, helping about 80 kids a day from 15 months to 12 year old assemble a prebuilt 8' pram that I construct before the show. Last year the kids used about 1200 screws to assemble it! We also let the kids take apart and reassemble a cleaned up 1955 Evinrude 5 1/2 down to piston rings and gears in the gearcase. Bring your kids and grandkids to help!

Here is the link for Kids Build A Boat https://buildaboatblog.files.wordpress. ... 2-2016.pdf
Last edited by jplatou on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jpvernon

Re: Squirt New Build in Houston

Postby jpvernon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:28 am

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
- John

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Squirt New Build in Houston

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:41 am

Great to hear. I love the pink Minimost with all the pink balloons! That's awesome! What a wonderful grandpa you are...
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

jplatou

Re: Helping 7 year old grandson build "Squirt" in Houston

Postby jplatou » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:39 pm

I am fortunate that my grandson lives on the other side of the Lake Houston, about a mile from my house. We milled the mahogany for the frames and transom at my house and transported it across the lake by boat to his. We are building frames at his house in his Dad's shop. The process is slow for sure! The first evening we worked almost an hour before he got tired, since then the norm is about 30 min maybe 45. I am helping him at his pace, not mine. The method I use is to rough cut and temporary screw the frames to together as fast as he can go. A young builder must see progress for every minute they spend. At the end of the session we compare the parts to the drawings to show the progress! After the various parts are rough cut and assembled, I go back and fine tune them by myself. The next time he sees the items they are finished cut and ready for permanent gluing.

First 1x6 arrives to grandson's home by boat and he carries inside to shop.
Owen Dock.JPG

We starting with me helping him layout the wood on the full size drawings, so I could rough cut them out. He looked for something round, to trace the radius on the wood, he found a short piece of 1 1/2 PVC pipe that was the proper radius and he used it to trace the radius on the frame.
Owen Lay out.JPG

At the end of the first day I had helped him rough cut 3 pieces of frame 2, He felt very good he has 4 members cut ready for assemble. We took a picture of him with the first parts for his new boats.
Owen Rib 1.JPG

The second day I was able to help him cut out all the pieces for frame 1, I discovered a couple of days later that the bottom member is one piece not 2! Before assembly it will be one. In his mind he did it right the first time, and he is making great progress. For every 30 minutes I help him build, I put in an extra hour.

The third night we rough cut one set of 4 gussets. This is the first time he has used a saw, I helped him, keeping full control of fingers and saw. In his mind, he is sawing! Later I will finish cut the gussets before assembly.
Last edited by jplatou on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Helping grandson use jig saw to rough cut gussets. I have control of saw and all fingers, but he believes he is sawing!

Owen Jig.JPG

After rough cutting I helped him cut a little closer using a scroll saw.

IMG_2692.JPG

Sanding is fairly safe by himself! He is making the transom using solid mahogany, so far 2 of 3 pieces of outer transom have been rough cut.

IMG_2686.JPG

Total time to date, over last 8 days, 4 sessions 30 min to and hour each for grandson. My time double that!

When he starts building I have already planned and studied the next step, all he has to do is build. The key to helping a kid build, is you have zero time to think in their presents about what you are doing next, you must only react!

I tell him each day he can stop for the day at anytime, he is the one that calls "I am tired" and we stop. He fits in building time between swim team and homework.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:38 am

That's fun! Thanks for passing your knowledge on to a younger generation!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:05 am

Grampa

This is important stuff!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:29 am

That's one more kid that won't be good at video games!

Keep it up.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:05 pm

His favorite "video game" is his Dad's flight simulator! He and his brother are all business, he is about to start flying their Cessna 172 on a booster seat, with Dad's help! Dad is a commercial pilot.

Owen has already built a desk with his Dad, loves building things! Future engineer?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:20 pm

I think I see a Civil Engineer or a Pilot in the making! Either way a good future.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:31 pm

He will do great no mater which direction he heads!

I have exposed 300 to 400 kids a year to boat building thru the ACBS "Kid Build A Boat" for the last 10 years. My goal for each of these kids is to give them the confidence to follow their dreams. My hope for all of them, is to develop a can do attitude.

Following plans and directions is every where, hand sewing a new dress, new home construction, setting up a new computer, flying an airplane, engineering, patent law, civil law, making a cake, dentistry, and even surgery. They all involve using tools of all kinds, following directions, and reading and understanding plans and diagrams!

I tell them if they can build a boat, they can do anything!

These are pictures of grand daughter at age 5, now a Junior in high school planning on studying medicine or dentistry in college. She still helps me build boats and houses.
Attachments
Emma Hamer.jpg
Emma Drill.jpg
Last edited by jplatou on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Helped grandson layout transom today, then I rough cut it out for him. Next will be rough assembly.

Hope to rough assemble both frames at same time, but his attention span is about 45 min max!

His job today was laying out lines on wood, moving wood around, adjusting table saw blade height and rip fence (saw off), practice sanding, building blocks with scrap wood, and turning saw and dust collector on before I made cuts, and then turning every thing off and lowering blade when I was done.

layout transom.JPG

adjusting saw.JPG

After rough assembly of the 3 members, I will take home to my shop and clean up to boat building standards!

The next time he sees the 3 members will be when they are ready to be glued and screwed together.

I have modified the plans, by building the transom out of solid mahogany and changing the transom angle to 15 degrees to allow more negative trim to keep the bow down with his light weight. The using solid mahogany is less expensive than buying a sheet of 3/4 plywood! Also adding 2 inches to transom height.

I have decided to run boat after hull is complete and primed without deck, with a temporary dash to better determine weight distribution, he will be using a 6hp and he is less than 70 pounds if that. Some of the feedback I have read, mentions porpoising, with normal size passengers, his lighter weight would make things only worse. I moved the dash forward 5" on his brother 8' MINIMOST I helped him build, and it made a very positive difference in comparison to the other MINIMOSTS I have built.

rough cut transom.JPG

The only thing that is important, is that he built his boat, in his mind!

Have about 5 weeks before Houston Boat Show, frame hopefully will be on display.

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Grandson was not bored today, had him rough layout his precut frame 1 and transom on plan and screw together with a minimum number of sheet rock screws. Predrilling and screwing is a job he can almost do himself, with 20% supervision, he gets better with each screw! He is just learning to put his weight into using the screw driver and being carful to counter sink each screw just enough. Only another 300 or 400 screws to go! He should have it down before launching.

I then take assembled ribs and transom back to my shop for fine tuning!
assen,ing rib 1.JPG
assembling rib 1.JPG
[attachment=0]screwing tramsom.JPG
Attachments
screwing transom.JPG
Last edited by jplatou on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:21 am, edited 8 times in total.

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Grandson's first test ride!

I have found it is so important for the kid to see their accomplishments!
driving in back yard t and rib 1.JPG

Now that rib 1 and transom are very rough assembled, I had grandson load rib1 and transom in my boat to take across the lake to my shop for fine finishing, the next time he sees the parts will be when they are ready for gluing.
rib dock.JPG

Plan is the have all both ribs, transom, and stem 100% complete before fastening to jig. His Dad's shop is small and in the house over garage, big enough to complete the boat , but not with any good way to get outside. So plan is the preassemble boat on jig with ribs in shop complete with all battens, keels, chimes, and sheers, and upon completion disassemble and remove to garage for reassembly with glue. Fairing and installing plywood will be in garage.

Working at his house is much easier than transporting him across lake to mine even though it takes less than 5 minute dock to dock.

His Mom is worried about enlarging their boat house to accommodate the kid boats, she has 4 boys and this is the second boat! The other 2 boys are 5 and 1 year old, both are boaters!

Next time we meet I hope have him finish rib 2 and then we start on stem, but other activities and attention span will enter in!

Building ended today, when he saw his brothers and the girls next door enjoying a game of shooting each other with pump up air guns shooting ping-pong balls!

This week is busy for him, swim team and homework, hoping we have both rough assembled my end of next weekend.

Still running AC in shop, winter is coming??????

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:25 am

Hi,

Looks like your grandson is making good progress.

A couple of things looking at the photos... the bottom of frame 1 should be one solid piece, the plans only show half of it due to fitting them all on the paper. I would recommend re-cutting this piece otherwise you will need to scab on piece to hold them together. Check out the "Ohio Squirt build", I think he did the same thing and need to correct it. Also, the gussets are typically applied to both side of the frames.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Small outboards”