Helping 7 year old grandson build "Squirt" in Houston

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

jplatou

Re: Helping 7 year old grandson build "Squirt" in Houston

Postby jplatou » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:46 am

Jimmy

Thanks for the heads up on frame 1, I did realize that after it was complete and will replace. Please let me know if you see something I did wrong or would make construction easier or better.

I know most of the mistakes to make on the other 2 boats I build with the kids, so I go only forward for the most part. I have built dozen and a half one design and 5 of the other, but he did not like the idea of building a boat like his brother and cousins. I will do better next time.

Last year I built 4 prams one month at once for the Kid Build A Boat at the boat show, had assembly line going, friend and I built one ever 12 hours! I know almost all the mistakes possible!

I'm doing it a little backward, but I keep going so grandson does not loose interest. We make progress ever time we meet even though I have to redo when he is not there. He was loosing interest so we only put on half the gussets, the others are cut ready to put on when he glues them together. But first I have to "blue print" the ribs at my shop, before I help him glue them together. Remember he is 7.

Lots of extra labor on my part, but worth the effort!

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:21 am

Hi,

Sounds like this is not your first rodeo, I'm just trying to help a fellow builder. I saw the same mistake on another build and it is easier to fix before you mount the frames to the form.

I know about working with kids and short attention spans, and you're doing a great job. Keep it up.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Jimmy

Please point out anything you see or things to look out for. This is my first Squirt and every boat is different, wish I had the time to build at your level, but not in the cards right now.

Most of the boats on this site including yours are master pieces!

Hoping to meet up with you some day, maybe at one of the gatherings, would love to see your work in person.

John

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:07 pm

4 boats.JPG

Built these 3 plus the one in garage behind me in 6 weeks, last year at this time, for the Kid Build A Boat booth at the Houston Boat Show.

Sad part is maybe 1 in 3 will ever see the water, maybe sand boxes? Each kid that helps build, gets a free chance to win the boat, and the unlucky parent gets to take it home!

jplatou

Postby jplatou » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Will have frame at Houston Boat Show, January 6 to 15TH!

Stop by and visit!

Thanks
John Platou
832 473 8928

Return to “Small outboards”