Tubby Tug

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

walbert52

Tubby Tug

Postby walbert52 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:26 pm

I,m getting ready to start the tubby tug build having trouble finding 3/8 marine ply in my area about 50 miles south of Chicago but I found a place that has 1/2 inch MDO, Can I use the MDO for the bottom of the hull instead of 3/8 marine ply. Thank you all for feed back. Thank you :?: :?: :?:

JimmY

Re: Tubby Tug

Postby JimmY » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi Bert,

Check out the "wood and plywood" forum. I did a quick search and MDO popped up several times, so it may be suitable. My only concern would be the added weight.

Also check out the Glen L list of wood suppliers for Illinois: https://www.glen-l.com/resources/lumber-suppliers.html#IL. Another boating site said that Menard's could special order marine plywood as well.

Not sure how far you are willing to drive, but LL Johnson in South Bend IN carries marine grade plywood (and a lot more).

Johnson's Workbench
51315 Indiana State Rte 933
South Bend, IN 46637
Toll Free: 800-292-5937
574-277-8350

I think builders have ordered from them and had it shipped. I drove to their place in Charlotte MI, and they have stacks of Okoume and Hydrotek.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:25 pm

I second LL Johnson. Great Place for your wood.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:30 pm

If you're referring to MDO as the material I believe you are I would definitely not use it for Hull construction on a boat, I just built a subwoofer box for my zip out of MDO, it is very dense and makes an excellent subwoofer enclosure however it is a type of particle board and any scratch through your waterproofing on the hull would result in the MDO rapidly absorbing water and falling apart, MDO is basically MDF infused with a water resistant compound (mostly used in outdoor signs) good for signs, good for subwoofer boxes, bad for boats. It also fractures easily and does not like to bend, I built my subwoofer box out of 3/4 inch and can easily break the scraps by hand. Hope this helps..........josh
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:51 am

Realistically, How much will you use the Tubby and for how many years? It's just the bottom panel which is flat. ACX (exterior ply) will last for several years. After the panel is cut out, fill all edge voids with epoxy. It will easily last more than 10 years.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

rleete

Postby rleete » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:18 am

Plywood would be much better than MDO. It will last better, especially if the encapsulation gets damaged and water gets in.

It's also quite a bit lighter.

walbert52

Postby walbert52 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:42 pm

Thank you everyone for all your help and happy holidays :D

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:58 am

You might try Northwest Lumber in Indy. If you dont mind a little drive.

Return to “Small outboards”