Jet Zip?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

sproggy

Re: Jet Zip?

Postby sproggy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:42 am

Hi Gary.

I had seen your posts about the 'Super Overniter' but that boat is already, in its standard form, just a little bit too long for me to comfortably build in the space I have and is 10" wider in the beam than the Nimrod that I have chosen. The Overniter is also over 50% heavier than the Nimrod, a fact that will have an effect on performance as well as timber and other material costs.

It seems to me that the Overniter and Nimrod have fairly similar hull forms - more V in the bow than the pure runabouts but no more than a few degrees of deadrise at the stern. It's a compromise but, I have decided, an acceptable one for me. I'm ordering the plans this morning.

Ian

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:33 am

sproggy wrote: ... I'm not doing this because I want to build a boat. I'm doing it because I want to build a boat that I want. Spending time and money on something that I have no enthusiasm for building or using (and I wouldn't have any for that boat) is not on the cards...

I think that you have said a great deal here and this really should not be understated. I think that this is likely a very common mistake that many first time builders make. I know I did.

I've been building the Zip and, while I do like the design a lot, it is NOT the boat I've always wanted. Thus, when the project stagnated for a number of reasons a number of years ago during my divorce, it got shoved off into the back forty (speaking figuratively) and forgotten. Now I have something of a hulk of a little boat that, when I look at it, stirs no enthusiasm in my soul. It has become something of a white elephant.

The fact is that we build boats so that we get exactly what WE want and NOT what others want or even merely what we can get by with.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:22 pm

I think you've made the right choice - the Nimrod is much better suited to our waters and the lines are really nice; I don't know why I didn't consider it! With that camper cockpit and a convertible top, you've got a really useful boat. You could get a spare small outboard for canal use... In fact I'm toying with scrapping my Zip plans! :?
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:36 am

I'm actually making the Nimrod rather less practical than it was designed to be, building it as a runabout. It'll have a Zip-style twin cockpit with walk-through and classic-styled metal framed screen in place of the more functional wooden one that the plans show. At least, that's what I intend at this early stage, although I won't need to worry about the details of deck design for quite some time! So no camper capability (I wouldn't use it) and probably no convertible top. We'll see.

As for having a second, smaller outboard for canal use I can see the logic of that, however the practicalities of switching between two motors with different mounting requirements, control interfaces, electrical connections, instrumentation etc will likely mean that's not viable.

Ian

Cribbsy

Postby Cribbsy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:20 am

vupilot wrote:Jet Zip has been done before so you should have some resources to help if you search the forum history. There was even a twin jet one done. Its shown in the customer photos section under Zips if you havent seen it.

Hi mate any chance of a link to a jet Zip? ive been searching all over and have only found the twin jet one. Cheers, Greg

Return to “Small outboards”