Peewee build for practice.

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Allen

Peewee build for practice.

Postby Allen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 pm

My first attempt at building a boat. For those of you who want to see a step by step of every possible mistake that can be made, you are in luck! I will be sharing photos of what not to do. :D I believe the chine log is mounted wrong, not sure why I went to all that trouble to twist it to match the stem. But it was quite a lot of fun making them so I may just yank them back off and redo it. I don't think the sheer clamp and chine logs are supposed so stick all the way through the transom either. That's what I get for getting excited and not reading the instructions. Went with yellow pine since that's what we have in our area and it's dirt cheap. Going to use exterior plywood on it as well, and at this rate I'm going to probably skip the fiberglass and use duct tape instead. Then wrap baling wire around and around and around it.....OK maybe I will use the fiberglass. Either way I'm having a blast building this! Already looking at the next set of plans :D
Attachments
20170106_214258.jpg
20170106_212443.jpg
20170104_171413.jpg
Measure once, cut 4 or 5 times, throw piece away and repeat.

JimmY

Re: Peewee build for practice.

Postby JimmY » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:19 am

Hi Allen,

While the pine won't be as durable, you should get some good practice. Lots of good information here on the forums to try and help you from making mistakes as well.

And if you go with duck tape, see my tag line below! 8)
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:46 am

No worries, the chine looks close enough. On the transom just cutout and install a piece of 1/4" ply over the original transom and nobody will know.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:42 am

Allen wrote:For those of you who want to see a step by step of every possible mistake that can be made, you are in luck! I will be sharing photos of what not to do. :D

Welcome to the forum, Allen. It is very nice of you to show us all your mistakes. Your humility will actually make you a better boat builder. Trust me when I say this. We are all already very familiar with all the mistakes that can be made. We've made them, too. LOL :lol: :lol:

My favorite was the time I gave the entire bottom of my boat a thick coat of epoxy mixed with epoxy. It was SUPPOSED to be epoxy mixed with catalyst. OOOPSIE! :oops: I didn't realize my boo boo until I waited several days thinking that surely this stuff would kick off and set eventually. Finally, I took a good look at my mixing bottles and sure enough, I had only a fraction of what I SHOULD have had of the epoxy and way more than I SHOULD have had in catalyst. So I had to spend many hours scraping off the goo and wiping down every thing with acetone. Then, I had to buy more epoxy because I was out. It was a MESS!!

JimmY wrote:... if you go with duck tape, see my tag line below! 8)

Yes, at the Gatherings, we are very cogniscent of the amount of duck tape used on each boat. You are limited to only two complete rolls per boat regardless of the boat's length. We do allow Bill Edmundson one extra roll of tape for his projects because we take pity on him. A duck tape judge will visit your boat and will use an abacus to count how many wrinkles your tape will have and a micrometer to measure the depth and thickness of each wrinkle. The two sums will be crunched into a duck tape wrinkle computer to give as a figure as to how many beers you will need to buy for the other boat builders in order to redeem yourself. :lol: :wink:
Last edited by Dave Grason on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:58 am

Mistakes are the best learning experences...lol

Allen

Postby Allen » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:44 pm

I attached a photo of a device that I'm having my wife hide from me. I should have just started fairing with my hatchet to begin with. :D

Until I figure out how to post yalls comments and reply to them individually I will just have to say a blanket thank you for the tips and the moral support!
Attachments
20170107_153331.jpg

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:51 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad to see someone with my kind of humor!!!! Don't fret the mistakes, as we all make them! The secret to craftsmanship is the ability to cover up mistakes or make them a feature! AND remember: Perfection is the enemy of the Good Enough. Over the years I have learned that for me, it takes building 3 of something to get it right! And I've built a few things.

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:57 am

Oh.....and the best way to kill a boat is to give the builder a belt sander and a six pack of 36 grit belts....

Return to “Small outboards”